Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
LDM
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone out there on a Ripley with the X-Fusion Microlite RL shock and X-Fusion Trace RL, 120mm? From what I have read… sounds like X-Fusion products are working out well, but haven't found anything regarding the Ripley. I'm also interested in the E*13 TRS+ crank. Any thoughts on that.

Thanks Much!

·
Registered
153 Posts
Can't comment on the X-fusion stuff, but the e*13 TRS+ is pretty nice. I put the e*13 direct mount 32t and wolf tooth 42t out back and couldn't be more pleased. Works great and the e*13 crank looks nice and clean.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Personally I'd choose the XF build over the Fox build. My only concern would be the microlite. Its uber light but its also tiny, curious as to the long term durability. That said durability to my knowledge hasnt been an issue.

·
LDM
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all for the replies. It's kind of amazing how little user information there is on X-Fusion. The reviews are all positive.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
I think you'll find that the set and forget crowd love the RL2s and the tinker/tuner crowd love them as well but wish there were more adjustments. The good news is they are pretty easy to work on and folks are just now playing with various shim stack tunning options.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I dont like the e13 crankset for the ripley. With the bb92 and the 30mm spindle of the e13, the bearings are quite small and at least mine started making noise in no time at all. I really like the looks of the crankset, but the bb is not super. If i was to choose again i would have gone for a crankset with a smaller spindle.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Even though my e13 BB bearings were basically shot in the 9 months of riding I have had my Ripley, they never made any noise. The new set are upgraded a bit and should last longer, at least the service mgr at my LBS thought they looked a bit tougher and better sealed.

·
LDM
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I talked to a mechanic at a shop that said he would stay with the Raceface crank also. His point was you were stuck with their BB, VS the SLX/Raceface that had more options.

Thanks!

·
aka dan51
6,021 Posts
The xfusion stuff is very good. I chose the special blend model specifically to get xfusion, and upgraded the cranks to xtr.
The fork is fantastic, and we are starting to take them apart and tune them. Search the suspension forum for a multi page thread on the Slant.
The shock is nice too, but does get warm on extended downhills. If I had the choice I would consider getting the xfusion O2 RCX shock instead, as it fits my riding style better. For XC and general purpose riding the microlite has exceeded what I thought such a tiny shock can do.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts