Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bought an Ibis Ripley last November after doing a bunch of research and wanting a 29er FS bike. Unfortunately it was a long hard winter and couldn't get out for a ride until today. Yes it was extremely hard waiting all winter but the wait was well worth it.

Went to my favorite local loop which is Pontiac Lake in Michigan. It is a 10 mile loop with a lot of rolling hills and few technical up hills. All I can say is I made the right choice by far. I love this bike. I was clearing things that in the past I would ride around. I was actually looking for stuff to jump and basically have fun on. The bike had zero pedal bob on all the uphills. To be honest I had to look down a few times to make sure I wasn't on my hardtail. My back feels like a million bucks tonight because not only did it not have any pedal bob but it absorbed all the bumps big and small.

Usually my wrist and lower back are sore after riding this trail but tonight I feel great. My bike of choice in the past was my Ventana El Bastardo which is a 650B FS bike. It is a great bike and fits my like a T but it had a lot more pedal bob and didn't absorb the bumps like the Ripley. Some of that is the fork which is a White Brothers on the Ventana and I have the Fox Float on the Ripley. Also Ibis was spot on when they said that it doesn't feel like a 29er. The only time I knew I was on a 29er is when I was going uphill and crushing over roots and rocks. Then I was happy I was on a 29er. The cockpit of this bike is absolutely spot on for me. The tires I am using are a Specialized Ground Control 2.1 in front and a Specialized Fast Track 2.0 in the back. I only felt I needed a fatter tire on one uphill when I did spin out for a second but was able to recover and clean the hill.

The wheelbase on this bike is amazing and it handles like a 26" wheeled bike. I am only 5'6" and have a 28.5" inseam and always assumed that the 650B bike would work better for me but after today I can't agree with that. I also have a Ventana El Padrino 29er HT which I also love and feel is designed very well. I think all the talk that says 29er's are not good for shorter riders is BS.

Now no ride can be perfect and I did have 2 issues today. One is I lost the chain twice when going from the smaller front ring to the larger front ring but I am sure that a small adjustment to the front derailuer and that issue will be fixed. I also have this awful creaking noise going on and need to get it sorted out. I was on the phone today about 6 times with Todd trying to troubleshot but just couldn't figure it out. Going to my LBS tomorrow to get my FD adjusted and hopefully they can isolate the creaking and get it fixed. Here is a video of the creaking:

I love this bike and would say if someone wanted a jack of all trades or one bike quiver the Ripley would be it end of story. However I love bikes and am also lusting after either the Ibis HDR650, Santa Cruz 5010 or if Yeti comes out with the SB75 in carbon. Not that I really need another bike but wouldn't mind one more FS in 650B. If my El Bastardo sells that is.

Thanks,

Chuck

·
Registered
104 Posts
Chuck, I used to live south of you in Bowling Green, OH and would venture north for Pontiac Lake and the Pottawatomie trail. Both are great fast trails. I bet that Ripley rocks there.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Chuck, I used to live south of you in Bowling Green, OH and would venture north for Pontiac Lake and the Pottawatomie trail. Both are great fast trails. I bet that Ripley rocks there.
Yeah hoping to hit Poto this weekend. I also really enjoy Island Lakes as well. You can really get the bike flying at Island Lakes.

·
default title
537 Posts
Yep the Ripley really is everything they've said. I can't imagine a [legal] trail in MI that the Ripley won't slay. Those short uphills at Poto will be a piece of cake. Now all I need is a shop that'll rent one out for the day next time I'm in that part of the world.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Regarding your FD shifting issues, make sure your LBS is aware of this: http://www.ibiscycles.com/downloads/Ibis_Tech_Bulletin_Edit_2.1.pdf

In a nut shell, set your front shifter to 3x (not 2x) and setup the FD so that your big ring is your "middle". Trim the High/Low limits as needed, but don't get too crazy with the High limit, i.e. allow the FD to move a little beyond the mid chain ring towards the bashguard, otherwise your shifting will be sloppy (as I found out the hard way).

Or go 1x! J/K

1 - 6 of 6 Posts