Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 1182 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Looks like a touch slacker HTA (65.5) than the carbon V4. Great price point on the Deore build at $2999. Looks like they are keeping it simple with only two build levels and no frame only option, which probably makes sense with the state of the industry.

·
Registered
537 Posts
There will be a frame only option for $1799.

I would have liked to see it spec'd with a DVO suspension like the Ripmo AF.

If I didn’t already have the Ripley carbon, I’d be all over that $3000 Deore build!

Anyone have insight if these are well stocked?

·
Registered
212 Posts
Looks like they developed some new frame protection (chainstay/downtube/lowerlink protector) that won't be on the first batch due to manufacturer stuff or something... I hope they make these available for Ripmo/Ripley v4's !

·
Premium Member
6,939 Posts
I am suprised how heavy it is at 32.5 pounds (presumably not with pedals). That is what my Turner Burner weighs with pedals, a DVO fork and WTB Vigilante tires. I am guessing the frame and shock in large are closer to 8.5-9 pounds. I am by no means a weight weenie, but that is a lot for a 120mm trail bike. I wonder how much of that is in tires since the new Schwalbe casings are 150-200 grams heavier than the old ones.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
I am suprised how heavy it is at 32.5 pounds (presumably not with pedals). That is what my Turner Burner weighs with pedals, a DVO fork and WTB Vigilante tires. I am guessing the frame and shock in large are closer to 8.5-9 pounds. I am by no means a weight weenie, but that is a lot for a 120mm trail bike. I wonder how much of that is in tires since the new Schwalbe casings are 150-200 grams heavier than the old ones.
yeah, it might seem high for 120mm but i believe it will ride pretty light, meaning you will not notice the weight too much while riding. speaking from my experience. i have owned carbon ripley v4 for 2 seasons now and recently got ripmo AF. both xl sizes. i was worried about weight on AF, and surly it tipped my scalaes over 35lbs. its heavy lifting it on the rack but as soon as i start riding it ii does not feel like 35lbs bike. and yes i could shed quite a bit by changing stock schwalbes to something lighter.

·
Premium Member
6,939 Posts
yeah, it might seem high for 120mm but i believe it will ride pretty light, meaning you will not notice the weight too much while riding. speaking from my experience. i have owned carbon ripley v4 for 2 seasons now and recently got ripmo AF. both xl sizes. i was worried about weight on AF, and surly it tipped my scalaes over 35lbs. its heavy lifting it on the rack but as soon as i start riding it ii does not feel like 35lbs bike. and yes i could shed quite a bit by changing stock schwalbes to something lighter.
I am sure it will ride well, I just don't see it as the same ground breaking bike the Ripmo AF was, which got your top of the line suspension and a solid build for $3000. Since then, the tradition retail manufactures have gotten more price competitive, Big S has the stumpjumper with a similar build at nearly the same price, Norco the Fluid FS1 for slightly less money, and if you go direct, the YT Izzo Comp is an incredible value in CF at $3000. Don't get me wrong, I like Ibis (have teo in the garage), just not seeing this as the great thing the Ripmo AF is.

1 - 20 of 1182 Posts