Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,

what's the general concensus on the Niner RIP9 vs a Turner Sultan in mud ?

Reason I ask is the RIP9 seat and chain stays are "connected" with another set of struts which the Sultan doesnt have.

I vaguely recall seeing the Sultan can handle a 2.55" tire with room to spare.

Mud clearance is my primary requirement given the clays I invariably find myslef riding in in the wet season over here and also the reason I'm looking at buying a new bike. The Giant Anthem I own is just terrible for clearance, even with a 1.90" tire and it has similar seat-chain stay connecting struts as the RIP9, which on the Anthem at least, compound the clearance issue as the mud gets packed in tight around the front derailleur.

I'm guessing the Sultan is the way to go but wanted to run it through a higher authority first.

cheers,
Greg

·
Registered
3,088 Posts

Reason I ask is the RIP9 seat and chain stays are "connected" with another set of struts which the Sultan doesnt have.

A Turner is always a safe bet for mud, given the massive tire clearance and ingeniously simple/effective bushing system.

The extra strut on the RIP doesn't look like it would restrict clearance any more than the chainstay yoke, but maybe it could cause increased buildup around that area in really muddy conditions. :confused: If it does surely someone on this forum (which voted it the product of the year) would have noticed.

Here's my Sultan with a 2.55 Weirwolf on 44mm Snow Cat rims. Not the best view of the tire clearance, but it is way more than adequate with the biggest tire/rim combo currently in existence (and readily available :rolleyes: ).

·
one more time
539 Posts
hey borneo

im riding an RIP9 in singapore - we have the same tropical mud problem here!!

im running 2.35 rampages and havent had any problems so far. only had the bike a short time so only a couple of decent rides in mud so i guess to early to tell for sure but seems ok.

the RIP9 is sweet - i had my doubts about the 29er on the tight junge trails but its been great so far, just need to throw it around a bit!

so hows the riding in Balikpapan? ive done quite a bit of riding in singapore and malaysia and have often wondered about the trails over there - did some trekking in sarawak but definitely not rideable trails.

·
change is good
Switchblade with a 38, 29+ rigid WaltWorks
4,252 Posts
Ventanas have good mud clearance also. Ramp easily fits, one of the reasons I bought my El Cap. Also since they are popular in Great Britain I assumed correctly that the bearings are sealed well.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Hairllama said:
That WTB/Snow Cat combo looks awesome. Where did you get the rims?
Mike Curiak...three of four years ago. I think they were already out of production at the time, so good luck finding some now.

I guess I should been more clear that this is the biggest rim and (readily available) tire combo I know of. Really looking forward to the alleged big meats around the corner; this combo isn't bad, but it could use more/bigger knobs and sidewall stability. If I lower the pressure too far (<10 psi) in hope of achieving more float it feels like trying to ride on one of those balance balls.

·
Reviewer/Tester
6,164 Posts
All,

Mud clearance is my primary requirement given the clays I invariably find myslef riding in in the wet season over here and also the reason I'm looking at buying a new bike. The Giant Anthem I own is just terrible for clearance, even with a 1.90" tire and it has similar seat-chain stay connecting struts as the RIP9, which on the Anthem at least, compound the clearance issue as the mud gets packed in tight around the front derailleur.

I'm guessing the Sultan is the way to go but wanted to run it through a higher authority first.

cheers,
Greg
I have had no problems with mud on my RIP here in AU, and we have had a very wet summer this year, so far.

However, the mud I ride in probably isn't the same as the stuff you do. My mud is black soil mud mostly, it can be clay-based as well, but so far I havn't had any problems with it getting the RIP to slow down at all, the clearance with Kenda Nevegals and Panaracer Rampages is fine on Stans Flow rims.

R.

·
Registered
23,945 Posts
Love my RIP9, but this is one of the things I have an issue with on it and expressed concern and was told it had loads of clearance - this however is from folkes riding in granite based or loam based non super stick stuff if they do actually ride the trails when wet, because we don't ride wet trails because , yaday, yada, yada..

Yes those extra struts/supports help collect mud. I also had this problemon my Trance. If I was to be needing good mud clearance or clearance in general all the time I would opt for the Sultan, easy choice. I think we have the same nasty, super sticky clay based soil here and it's a real PITA and it's a lot of farm track based stuff that definitely gets much worse than bicycle traffic.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
All,

cheers,
Greg
It's gotten pretty sloppy here in the UK recently, perhaps not quite as bad as it gets, but near as.

I can't describe the type of mud, suffice to say it's mixed with leaves, thick & sticky, and on Sunday's 4 hour forest epic my RIPs mud clearance at one point filled, and trapped a large leaf which was noisy. When we stopped at the next trail head i just pushed it out, not really a problem. Certainly not a deal breaker. This is the only problem I've had.

Anyway, aren't we meant to ride hardtails in winter/heavy mud...?

·
Alaska Turner Mafia
1,121 Posts
mtnbikerx said:
Is that a 29" SnoCat? Didn't know they existed
miles is right, they are a rare bird. I secured some a couple years ago and had a dedicated winter bike built around them. There's at least two more sets in use in Anchorage that I know of, but they are starting to lose out in favor of Large Marges and wider, with FatBikes.

Now if a bit wider 29er tire would just become available...like miles I'm running the WW LT, and still have some room to spare.

Sorry about the hijack GP, but I remember answering this question once to a friend of mine a year ago when he was mulling over a RIP 9 vs Sultan purchase. The bearings vs bushings for the slop was a selling point, plus not having anything below the BB goes a long way. That linkage and its bearings are pretty vulnerable. Go for the Sultan!

Rando

Attachments

·
Registered
661 Posts
mtnbikerx said:
Is that a 29" SnoCat? Didn't know they existed, I've got some 26" SnoCat SL's
Kris Holm 29er Unicycle rims are not as wide as the SnoCats (38mm VS. 44mm) but they're wider than most anything else on the market. They're also a little more readily available than the SnoCats.

Pete

Edit: I just noticed the other Holm comment. Sorry to have repeated info that others had posted.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Benzology,
If I was in Sing I wouldnt bother with Balikpapan. The Silk Air direct flight is a RIP-off @ ~450USD for a 2 hr flight. Then you'ld have the hassle of getting your steed through customs. You could go through Jakarta for less $ and less customs headache but moretime.
I'ld recommend Bali - cheaper to get to, less probability of getting custom's hassle cos Bali's more set up for tourists, more scenic trails and more to do after hours. Check out www.bali-trailblazers.com or drop into the Jayakarta bike shop and I'm sure you'll find some fella's heading out for a ride.

Having said that though biking here in Balikpapan is pretty good for us resident expats. We do a regular Tuesday 17-1900hrs. Normally around town in all the 'jalan tikus' putting the granny gear into good use on all extreme gradient hills here. Saturday is a 14:00 till 19:00/20:00 offroader combining pretty much every surface with a good 3 hours offroad on mostly overgrown jeep and some singletrack. Some of the froggies (French) do a Sat morning ride, normally involving 1hr long boat rides up the river - less frequent, less technical but usually more scenic.

Last time I was in Sing I had a hard time finding any tires suitable for mud -was told not too many people in Sing went offroad....

cheers,
Greg

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
LyNx / Objectionable Material/EndoRando and others,

cheers guys. This is just what I was after - an honest assessment from people who know what I'm on about. Yes its really hard to find people out there facing similar tropical mud conditions. 100% those extra struts on the RIP9 will provide extra unwanted surface area for the sticky clay type mud to accumulate to the point of no return.

The decision is made - it will be Sultan...just need to figure out a way to size one up.

I attach a couple of photos of our worst mud day earlier on in the year. It pi$$ed down on the boat ride out and the track was a disaster. We portaged at least 10km (and of course this was the first day I was wearing my brand spanking new Specialzed MTB Comps - golf size blisters after 45minutes...), cut the 30km plan down to 20km and didnt finish till 13:00hrs. That's the worst 'mud day' in a long time and yes, even a Sultan wont be able to deal with it but at least I'll be in better shape than on the GiantAnthem for the 'more normal mud' days.

regards,
Greg

Attachments

·
change is good
Switchblade with a 38, 29+ rigid WaltWorks
4,252 Posts
Looks like the crap I ride in. I live in the Ohio river basin. Think smaller version of the Mississippi river. The clay is ultimately hard on my FS bike for obivious reasons. The answer - Waltworks SS. I think a SS with Fire XC Pros could get through that stuff. As long as the tires don't pack up my feeling is that mud is rideable. That or a cross bike. I noticed one of the riders wasn't sinking into the mud. I don't know how much fun it would be though.

I had a Blur which sucked in the clay mud. Similar yet different compared to the RIP.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.