Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone try or have this combination? (I did search) Axle/crown length 520.8mm, offset 44mm, if that helps.
Any recommendations from Niner Bikes themselves about 120mm travel forks in general?
I am torn between the RIP9 and the Spider 29. I have a Santa Cruz BLT presently, and like the VPP suspension. I still get a bit spooked on the steep technical bits, and I gather the RIP9 would be more forgiving.

·
Registered
233 Posts
RIP9 + 120mm - yep, it's good

While I don't have any experience on the F120 with the RIP9, I do now have three rides in on the RIP9/Manitou Minute 120 combo. I also own a Blur Classic and Blur LT (1.0). Compared to the LT, my RIP9 setup doesn't seem to wander as much on very steep climbs and is maybe even more stable on the downhills (once you get those big wheels rolling, that gyroscopic effect is pretty amazing).

The Minute 120 is more active than the TALAS on my Blur but the platform helps a little with that. I am gettnig the clicking sound on top-out of the Manitou, so time to go research the fix for that. I am a big fan of Fox for suspension, but the F120 wasn't available when I originally ordered all my parts. Turns out that with the delay on frame delivery (caught between manufacturing runs) I could have picked up the F120 when it came out a few weeks ago.

I'm still looking for a 36 tooth gear in the back on some of the climbs - hoping it's only a matter of time before Shimano/SRAM figure out that we need a 34-tooth equivalent for the 29ers. Not enough rides in yet to really figure out the differences between my VPP bikes and the new Niner. I won't be giving up the Blur anytime soon, but I think this Niner is a keeper.

By the way, I'm 6'2" (34" inseam) and went with an XL RIP9. Both Blurs are XLs as well. All seem to fit very well. The XL RIP9 does not feel too big to me.

Good luck,

mtbmoose
spokane, wa

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info! I'm 6'4" so I guess an XL would be fine for me
I am planning on using 180mm cranks which may help up the hills. I don't think pedal strikes will be too much of an issue for my type of riding

·
Registered
141 Posts
Weird

I talked to Brett @ Niner about this same question, today.

He said he runs the Manitou 120 on his personal RIP. He said the Fox is a great fork, but I just don't know if it's worth the extra money.

I'm still on the fence for my RIP 9 build up. I can get the Fox for 15% off from one of the shops in town, making it only a $120 difference.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I just replaced my 100mm F29 with a 120mm F29 this past weekend and I can tell you the bike feels perfectly balanced with the 120 on the front compared to the 100. I definitely recommend the 120 over the 100 for the RIP. I recommend spending the extra money on the Fox. The Fox forks are worth every penny.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I just did a ride with my F29 120mm installed and it compliments the rear of the RIP 9 perfectly. I love upgrades that totally tranform your bike and take the ride to a new level. Coming from using a DUC the Fox is tons better. Super stiff and smooth, you literally have to look down at it to see if it's working.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Frame said:
Thanks for the info! I'm 6'4" so I guess an XL would be fine for me
I am planning on using 180mm cranks which may help up the hills. I don't think pedal strikes will be too much of an issue for my type of riding
I'm 6'3" and the XL is perfect, so yes, get the XL. I also put on 180mm cranks to help in the hills with more leverage, works great, and with only 5mm difference vs 175mm, pedal strikes haven't been an issue for me.

As MTBmoose said, if they came out with a 36 rear tooth, it would make the gearing equal to a 34tooth on a 26" wheel, but until then, the 180 cranks for us longer leg guys is a good compromise.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I managed to find a 120mm F29 brand spanking new on eBay for the price of a new manitou or any other new, high-end, 29er, 120mm suspension shock out there that isn't the F29. Seemed like a no-brainer to me: On-par performance with a bang bang brand name. Just keep your eyes peeled and keep looking diligently and you can find some sick deals out there. I'm uber happy with the F29. The on-trail adjustability is wonderful and its buttery, smooth, and forgiving. Deeeeelish

I'm running it on a R.I.P 9 btw :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.