Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I built up an awesome Rip9 from a 2011 bare frame. My intent was mostly XC and have been keeping the wheels on the ground most of the time. I went from a GT Force AM machine (still have/ride it). I'm 6-1 235.

Lately I've really been pushing the Niner. Going down faster than I've ever gone. Going on more aggressive trails, getting some air on small jumps and 18" drops.

Most recently I've been missing my dropper post I have on the GT, so I.m considering buying one for the Niner.

Now I'm concerned the bike is not designed for this and maybe I should just ride the GT when I feel like riding more aggressive trails.

Thoughts?

·
trail "cleaner"
1,382 Posts
I built up an awesome Rip9 from a 2011 bare frame. My intent was mostly XC and have been keeping the wheels on the ground most of the time. I went from a GT Force AM machine (still have/ride it). I'm 6-1 235.

Lately I've really been pushing the Niner. Going down faster than I've ever gone. Going on more aggressive trails, getting some air on small jumps and 18" drops.

Most recently I've been missing my dropper post I have on the GT, so I.m considering buying one for the Niner.

Now I'm concerned the bike is not designed for this and maybe I should just ride the GT when I feel like riding more aggressive trails.

Thoughts?
Depends on how you built it up.... Fork/Wheels and tires/Brakes will all play into how you intend to use your RIP.. Mine are certainly leaning into the AM mold with CF rims/CK hubs, 900 gram Chunky Monkey/Smorgasbord tires/ Rock Shox Pikes on both and Hayes Stroker Trails/Prime Pro's with 7" and 8" rotors. The frames should handle it but I'm 180 pounds with a full camelbak.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I'm 225 and have been riding all sorts of gnarly stuff on my 2012. Setup is key, especially with the wheels, fork and tires.

·
Carbon & Ti rule
5,410 Posts
18 inch is not a drop for a Rip9 it is trail chatter.

They go well in the ruff, But they do have to be setup for it.

With your weight & height you need to be on good strong rims & wide tire with a nice strong side wall.

I think that a Dropper post is a must on a MTB I have always run them on all of my bikes even on my Jet9's/

Tell us more about the spec of your bike ?

Thoughts?

·
Registered
101 Posts
h82crash, I really think you need to better describe your riding conditions. I would have to agree with others, 18" really doesn't seem like too much rough. I'd fully expect even a Walmart bike to take this kind of hit with maybe a minor tweak to rim wabble. :) So... I'd say almost any middle of the road build should handle this kind of riding with perhaps a wheel straightening a few times a season.

In my mind I see the Rip dropping 3'-4' onto rocks and roots. I honestly don't expect the frame to fail, ever. Perhaps I've had wrong conditioning but my BMX bike from 30+ years ago is still ridden by my sons. My 26" Titan MTB of 20 years is still in good working order. Both are steel frame both have seen much abuse. So, unless your pushing trails crazy trails (or crash), I don't think the frame should fail.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When I'm doing my 20 mile trail/fitness rides, no need for a drop post. I'm running carbon wheels, 140 Revelation fork. 180f 160r rotors. I'm rolling on Race King 2.2s. The trails are very rocky Walmart bike killers. Was just reporting what I am doing at my weight on it. I'm going 15-20 mph down stream beds and rock sections where the baby heads are are melon sized. Very little is smooth trail. I'm no down hiller or Rampage wanna be. Just having a blast going fast and pushing steeper stuff. It's doing fine but wonder how long my wheels are going to last. I guess a dropper post is in order. TKS

1 - 6 of 6 Posts