Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Ultra Ventanaphile
Joined
·
3,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trade in program is 30% off your next frame.

"5 Head medications.." And you stuck around?!?!? :D

Edit: Second option is call T in the morning an see how much to fix it. Via Factory Refurb since you love the old girl so much.
Rember that's what I did with my old 2001 Bruja. (Rides and looks like Brand new)
 

·
Back of the pack fat guy
Joined
·
4,008 Posts
My X-5 died.

Moment of silence.

OK, moment over.

Found a big crack at the top tube - seat tube junction tonight. On my way out for a ride. On the frame that has treated me better than any frame or bike I've ever owned. I laughed, I cried. I went home and grabbed an inferior bike. And I rode.

I bought this bad boy - a 2004 X-5 in the superdust - in December 2004 direct from Ventana. Teresa was very helpful as she took my credit card number in glee. I was in similar glee at the thought of receiving my X-5. Which I did. All hail Brown Santa.

But, I couldn't built it up immediately. In fact, I had to wait 4 FREAKING MONTHS to build it up. But, when I did, it was love at first ride. It was only my second full suspension frame - and the other was a far inferior Santa Cruz Superlight. First ride, I was railing corners and running over and through sh!t that I'd always had to tip toe around. It was a beautiful thing.

Other than a recurring shock problem (that Fox FINALLY rectified with a new shock after I sent the original shock back 3 times), the X-5 treated me gently and with aplomb for over 4 years. I admit, for many years I chased the dragon - always buying new bikes, new frames, new components - searching for that next high. I had a hardtail race bike, I dabbled in 29'ers, I tried two CX bikes, and had several single speeds and other geared bikes. But, I always went back to the Ventana. It saw me through 2 trips to Fruita, 2 trips to Moab, Barbie Camp, a messy divorce, and an even messier break up with a subsequent crazier-than-Crispin-Glover mountain biking girlfriend. (Oh God, don't ever date a woman with 2 mountain bikes, 4 cats, and taking 5 head medications. No bueno - as she used to say.)

Anyway, until today, the X-5 was my one cycling constant in my life. I had it dialed. I knew how it would handle on every bump, curve, climb, rock section, whatever. Last fall, it took me over and through a local technical rock section I'd walked for the last 12 years. It was as close to perfect as any frame I'd ever owned.

And now it's gone. Fatally cracked and deceased. RIP X-5.

So, that's over.

Who has had experience with Ventana's warranty program? Thumbs up? And, should I replace it with another X-5, or the El Ciclon? ;)
 

Attachments

·
Team Hardcore Cornbread
Joined
·
525 Posts
I have a 2001 Salty frame with a cracked chain stay sitting in my garage. When I inquired about the trade in with my LBS I was better off buying regular price in order to get a build kit discount from them. I did the math and it came out cheeper. I think there is some crazy magic between Ventana and your LBS on a trade. I went from Salty to Ciclon so I cannot comment on X-5 vs. Salty.

The reason I responded to your post is because that was one of the funniest things I have read in a while. "Oh God, don't ever date a woman with 2 mountain bikes, 4 cats, and taking 5 head medications. No bueno - as she used to say." Good stuff. Sorry about your X-5.
 

·
Back of the pack fat guy
Joined
·
4,008 Posts
Ciclistagonzo said:
Trade in program is 30% off your next frame.

"5 Head medications.." And you stuck around?!?!? :D

Edit: Second option is call T in the morning an see how much to fix it. Via Factory Refurb since you love the old girl so much.
Rember that's what I did with my old 2001 Bruja. (Rides and looks like Brand new)
Yeah, well, she was hot. Remember - crazy in the head, crazy in bed.

Hmmm. I see the "owner appreciation" program and I've actually called and talked to Teresa about that before. However, there is another section of the website that discusses warranties. This is the language I would imagine applies to me:

Ventana further extends to the original purchaser a limited lifetime frame replacement policy whereby, for a fraction of retail price, the original purchaser may get a replacement frame in the event of a crash or frame failure. Replacement cost, model and color options are subject to the discretion of Ventana Mountain Bikes, USA.

Now, "a fraction" as used in this sentence is necessarily vague. It doesn't say what sort of fraction - could be the same as the owner appreciation program (30% off a new frame.)

Well, I guess we'll see. Thanks boys.
 

·
Perpetual slow motion
Joined
·
480 Posts
(Oh God, don't ever date a woman with 2 mountain bikes, 4 cats, and taking 5 head medications. No bueno - as she used to say.)

If she happened to be either one of the girls in your profile pic, I would have to say "Here's your sign". Sorry to hear about the X-5, I think mine is on borrowed time as well.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
16,457 Posts
Sorry to hear about this. Maybe depending on the crack, it can be repaired for minimal cost. However, I'm sure Ventana would at least need a pic that's not blurry ;)

Use the macro function and pull the camera away a bit, or simply pull it away a bit, then zoom in to get the focus to work ;)

Tell us how it goes. Ventana is a good company.
 

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
Joined
·
17,282 Posts
bummer and yeah, my X5 was an amazing all around bike and props to you for not being a bike whore when it came to this one...hope it works out for you whatever you opt for
 

·
Back of the pack fat guy
Joined
·
4,008 Posts
Ciclistagonzo said:
Trade in program is 30% off your next frame.
Basically, that's correct. (I told Teresa that they may want to take a look at the Warranty section of the website to clarify that the "replace at a fraction of the cost" is really the Customer Appreciation program.)

Anyhoo.

Teresa - and Sherwood - offered to replace the front triangle and rockers with new ones of each at a reduced cost. The best part is that I'll end up with an '09 El Ciclon front with 5" rockers (instead of the 5.5" rockers it now comes with for '09.) Basically, using my existing rear triangle and shock, I'll have what amounts to a 2008 El Ciclon frame (I think - it took several minutes with both Teresa and Sherwood to clarify the resulting geometry of the marriage of the parts) - 5" of travel and similar geometry to last year's 5" El Ciclon. Of course, the replacement isn't free, but a heck of a lot less expensive than a new frame (of any quality by any manufacturer.)

So, there you go.

Moral of the story - things that are cracked, whether they are girlfriends or bike frames, can be replaced with better models.

:thumbsup:
 

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
Joined
·
17,282 Posts
Earthpig said:
Basically, that's correct. (I told Teresa that they may want to take a look at the Warranty section of the website to clarify that the "replace at a fraction of the cost" is really the Customer Appreciation program.)

Anyhoo.

Teresa - and Sherwood - offered to replace the front triangle and rockers with new ones of each at a reduced cost. The best part is that I'll end up with an '09 El Ciclon front with 5" rockers (instead of the 5.5" rockers it now comes with for '09.) Basically, using my existing rear triangle and shock, I'll have what amounts to a 2008 El Ciclon frame (I think - it took several minutes with both Teresa and Sherwood to clarify the resulting geometry of the marriage of the parts) - 5" of travel and similar geometry to last year's 5" El Ciclon. Of course, the replacement isn't free, but a heck of a lot less expensive than a new frame (of any quality by any manufacturer.)

So, there you go.

Moral of the story - things that are cracked, whether they are girlfriends or bike frames, can be replaced with better models.

:thumbsup:
Does Sherwood provide a wife trade in program? Now that she is 40 I would appreciate a couple 20 year olds in her place
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,385 Posts
easy fix

For Sherwood that is, probably reasonable cost too even though it'll likely need heatreatment & paint. i bought a used original design La Bruja that i felt about the way it sounds like you feel about your X5. it came w/ a bad main pivot frame section from being ridden loose. by the time i caught it, i had seriously wasted other parts of the frame & spent almost as much having Sherwood rework it as i paid for it. worth every penny. the nice thing about Ventana is you have options that just don't exist w/ maybe any other frame builder.
 

·
Back of the pack fat guy
Joined
·
4,008 Posts
Not interested in fixing the frame, and the quoted repair cost was almost as expensive as a new front triangle and rockers. Hence, for a couple of benjamins more than repairing the front triangle, I got a brand, spanking new one.

Fo - as for trading in your 40 year old wife...I'd be more than happy to take her off your hands. For a couple of hours.

Christ, did I just say that? Fantastic.
 

·
post-ride specialist
Joined
·
4,005 Posts
Went through the same thing a couple months ago. Cracked in the same place even. Went with the TM/6.3 instead though. First ride I went OTB and broke both arms...

(Just had my second ride last weekend and my third will be in a couple hours.)
 

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
Joined
·
17,282 Posts
icegeek said:
Went through the same thing a couple months ago. Cracked in the same place even. Went with the TM/6.3 instead though. First ride I went OTB and broke both arms...

(Just had my second ride last weekend and my third will be in a couple hours.)
wow...sorry to hear. so you went OTB on the Moto?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,293 Posts
icegeek said:
Went through the same thing a couple months ago. Cracked in the same place even. Went with the TM/6.3 instead though. First ride I went OTB and broke both arms...

(Just had my second ride last weekend and my third will be in a couple hours.)
Holy shite! I had no idea...

Hope that your ride today rocks.

Earthpig- I had the same issue as you, but my X-5 was in warranty. So, faced with the option of free repair or a couple benjamins for an upgrade, I went ahead and did it, as I was already running the X in 6" mode.

Enjoy the new bike!
 

·
Back of the pack fat guy
Joined
·
4,008 Posts
Hmm. All this chatter about breaking and cracking Ventana frames has me spooked. Isn't a big selling point for V the "electric sex welds?"

I know that occasionally crack can be sexy (except on Fo's mom), but I gotta say that a cracked weld isn't all that sexy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,293 Posts
Earthpig said:
Hmm. All this chatter about breaking and cracking Ventana frames has me spooked. Isn't a big selling point for V the "electric sex welds?"

I know that occasionally crack can be sexy (except on Fo's mom), but I gotta say that a cracked weld isn't all that sexy.
Ah, that was 1.5 years ago. I don't think it is all that common.
 
1 - 20 of 45 Posts
Top