Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this has been beat down before, I tried searching, but couldn't find a direct comparison.

Ok, so yeah, I know these are two very different bikes, and they have attributes that sort of put them in two different categories from my understanding.

JET - more of a XC bike, somewhat lighter, less travel, etc.
RIP - More AM, little more of a buiser, longer travel.

Both have more reviews than any other bike on here, which surprised me, as I felt like it's a little bit less common of a bike to have. That tells me I guess, that NINER riders are very dedicated, and passionate about their brand. The biggest thing that surprised me here though, was the number of reviews from first time NINER riders, coming from another bike brand.

So... I'm trying to decide between the two, and I'm probably splitting hairs, because I tend to overthink everything, read too many reviews, and seek out too many opinions... but, those are my issues, not yours.. :) Haha!

I live in MN, I ride a bit of everything. We have some smooth flowing singletrack, and we have some well manufactured singletrack, with plenty of obstacles, rock gardens, log piles, etc. Just down the road is a ski resort where there is some fun downhill stuff. We also have plenty of bluffs in the area, so I like to climb on some of the trails there.

Also, I take a couple trips out west every year (WY, MT, UT, CA, WA, AZ), so would like something that will do fine there also.

I don't race, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't... I just like to head out on trails, and enjoy the day.

I'm assuming both can handle what I throw at it... but wanted some opinions.

Is the RIP going to be too much for my everyday rider?
Can the JET handle everything I throw at it?
Is the difference in weight worth it in the RIP?

I did catch a couple reviews where they sort of bashed on the JET's lack of suspension.

Any of you ridden both, and can give me some impressions of the differences?

Thanks!

· COTA member
971 Posts
Have not ridden both, but the I would say the Jet 9 suffers the most on the bumpy downhill stuff. Non technical downhill is a breeze on Jet 9. A tad more suspension would be nice (Enter Jet 9 RDO). Uphill the Jet 9 is exceptional. I don't ever lock out suspension yet seems all the pedal power makes it to the rear wheel. My gripe with bikes like the RIP are the relaxed geometry. I just find it a lot more work to get through the twisty single track with that slow steering. So overall my vote is the Jet 9 is a more jack of all trades especially if you ride uphill as much as down. With the RIP you could probably go down just about anything.

What attracted me to the Jet 9 was the complete bike package Niner offers. You just can't build up another full suspension Niner for that price (typically available for 10% off MSRP).

· Registered
847 Posts
Jet-9 v. Rip-9

I also have not been on a Rip-9. But I just bought a Jet-9 last month with an XO build & 100 mm fork.. Coming from an old Trek HT, the Jet-9 is impressive. I agree with Dry Side as he describes the differences of the two, from my understanding. My trails seem to be similar to what you have. I too go to Moab, UT once a year. I bought the Jet-9 because of the climbing abilities and felt that the Jet would handle Moab well enough and still be able to do it all. Coming from an old Trek 8000, the Jet is a huge improvement and feel confident it will do well in more techy trails.

I mostly ride XC so the Jet-9 was a good fit. Every time I get on the bike I notice how efficient it is. I continue to be impressed. There are two down hills I have had trouble with on the Trek. The first time I took the Jet out I had no trouble. Cleaned them easily. What a difference! Mine weighs in at 27 lbs with pedals. I would have liked to get it at 26 lbs, but this bike is really that good it doesn't seem to matter. I notice the 2X10 gearing on the climbs only slightly and expect it to make no significant difference as I get stronger.

Muzzanic has posted a lot in the 29'er forum and has both the Rip & Jet & RDO (I think). He is likely to have good insight for you!

I love the Jet-9

Good luck.

· Always Learning
9,593 Posts
Sorry if this has been beat down before, I tried searching, but couldn't find a direct comparison.

Ok, so yeah, I know these are two very different bikes, and they have attributes that sort of put them in two different categories from my understanding.

JET - more of a XC bike, somewhat lighter, less travel, etc.
RIP - More AM, little more of a buiser, longer travel.

Both have more reviews than any other bike on here, which surprised me, as I felt like it's a little bit less common of a bike to have. That tells me I guess, that NINER riders are very dedicated, and passionate about their brand. The biggest thing that surprised me here though, was the number of reviews from first time NINER riders, coming from another bike brand.

So... I'm trying to decide between the two, and I'm probably splitting hairs, because I tend to overthink everything, read too many reviews, and seek out too many opinions... but, those are my issues, not yours.. :) Haha!

I live in MN, I ride a bit of everything. We have some smooth flowing singletrack, and we have some well manufactured singletrack, with plenty of obstacles, rock gardens, log piles, etc. Just down the road is a ski resort where there is some fun downhill stuff. We also have plenty of bluffs in the area, so I like to climb on some of the trails there.

Also, I take a couple trips out west every year (WY, MT, UT, CA, WA, AZ), so would like something that will do fine there also.

I don't race, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't... I just like to head out on trails, and enjoy the day.

I'm assuming both can handle what I throw at it... but wanted some opinions.

Is the RIP going to be too much for my everyday rider?
Can the JET handle everything I throw at it?
Is the difference in weight worth it in the RIP?

I did catch a couple reviews where they sort of bashed on the JET's lack of suspension.

Any of you ridden both, and can give me some impressions of the differences?

Thanks!
After reading your post, the answer is easy. You want the RIP 9.

I own both the RIP and the JET (and I race in the Minnesota series - usually on my JET). You didn't mention the JET RDO, but between the 80mm rear travel JET and the 120mm rear travel RIP - I'd grab the RIP if I was you for your description of riding above. If you were racing all the time or on buffer singletrack than Manysoda, the JET might work. But having ridden all over Manysoda and knowing what I reach for as an everyday bike (it's the RIP all the way), I think you should avoid the JET. If you ever do race, the RIP works fine at races (I race it at Mankato and a few of the rougher courses in the Midwest). It's about a 1.49 pound difference between the two (at least in my size - XL).

BB

· Registered
248 Posts
If you like the down and are going to have one bike get the Rip. I had an XL built fairly light that was down to 27.6lbs in an xl and it was a dream on XC. I added a lb with bigger tires and bars and it still climbed great but it descends so well I have hardly ridden my AM and FR bike this year. I rode a Jet for a week and felt I would only buy one as a race bike. Just not a lot of fun downhill for me

· Daniel the Dog
6,762 Posts
I like the Jet 9 and Rip 9: lovely bikes! But different in their purpose. I think if I was riding one bike all the time I would buy a RIP 9. The Jet 9 does feel much quicker and climbs better; however, the Rip 9 is no slouch when climbing. Rip 9 is much softer a ride and levels the ground much better but doesn't climb as well and isn't as firm pedaling.

· Carbon & Ti rule
5,221 Posts
I liked my Jet9 & had alot of fun on it, It works well & soaks up the Trail alot better than what you would think a 80mm travel bike would.

I used to take the Jet9 as my bike of choice when doing night rides with friends that were fitter than me when there was alot of climbing.

However the Rip9 was Just awesome & I would always get off the bike with a much bigger smile than the Jet9 could ever put on my face.

The 18 months I spent on the Rip9 lifted my riding more than all the years & all the bikes I had ever had.

I did alot of back to back timed rides with the Rip9 & Jet9 & the Rip9 really is very close to the Jet9 in time on a Track that suits the Jet9 but as you add the Ruff the Rip9 just eats it up & would leave the Jet9 behind.

Infact after riding fast down hill smoothish to mild ruff tracks on the Rip9 & then doing the same track on the Jet9 you did have to take alot more care.

The Rip9 on down hill stuff in the rain is insane how much grip it has & i would really feel safe were as with the Jet9 down hill in the rain just felt like it was going to bite you.

I owned my Rip9 longer than any bike I have ever owned & was not really finished with it or boared with it when I sold it to make way for the RDO.

The Down side of the Rip9 is it is a little heaver than the Jet9 ( not a problem on the trail ) & the big 1 for some ( but not for me ) is that the Rip9 is so good at pace that when not being pushed to the limit it doesn't feel as alive as the Jet9 & some would say it even feels a bit dead so if you like to push hard go for the Rip9 if not the Jet9 is still a great bike.

The RDO ? ( does it bridge the gap between the Rip9 & Jet9 ?? ) Well saying yes would be selling the RDO Very short.

If there was any way you could find the money to build up an Jet9 RDO just do it, The RDO feels more alive than the Jet9, feels more playfull, climbs better than the Jet9, feels super stiff & also has the point & shot feel of the Rip9 & doesn't get thrown of line like you would expect on a light bike.

The RDO in the Rip9's back yard, Still playing & have only had the bike about 3 weeks but at this point I would say that the RDO would be faster than the Rip9 in about 80% of stuff, about the same as the Rip9 somewere around 10% of the time & maybe the Rip9 might be better than the RDO in 10 % of the Ruff stuff but only if its pointing down hill becase on the flat anything that the RDO gave away to the Rip9 it would soon take back

Hope this helps.
There is no were IMO that the Jet9 would be faster than the Jet9 RDO

· Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow, great info guys! Thanks so much for you opinions, and knowledge!

I've never looked at the RDO actually, I might take a look at it. I've always liked alloys better than carbon, only because of personal preference, not performance/weight, etc.

I'll take a look around!

Thanks again!

· trail "cleaner"
1,373 Posts
you made the right choice...

I currently own both and for what you described as your riding environment, you chose wisely. The RIP is the ONE bike that can pretty much do it all. Buy two sets of wheels and use whichever suites the terrain. The JET is awesome for tight single track and XC terrain but once it gets a bit gnarly... the geometry just doesn't cut it. Have fun with that RIP! BTW, what fork are you going to run?

· trail "cleaner"
1,373 Posts
when you venture out to AZ

Thanks, yeah, I felt I could adjust the RIP, down, but would never be able to make the Jet Burlier...

It has a FOX Talas 120 RLC QR15 on it.
And hit some of the technical terrain.. the 140mm fork (Reba or Fox) will make the RIP even better. I've got the 140mm Reba on mine and it works awesome for everything we have to offer. Now that I think about it though... you've got the newest design with the one degree relaxed Head Tube angle and the 120mm might work just fine.

· Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well, thanks for everyones suggestions..

I found a RIP9 at a great price, and threw some goodies on it.

One thing I just don't understand. Why, if Niner recommends 2x10 on their site, why in their build kit to they build it with a 3x10?? Why do they get built up with 3x10? Doesn't make sense... so I've gotta replace that this winter.

Here she is!!

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

· Drinkin' the RIP9 Koolaid
160 Posts
Easiest thing to do is to pull the big ring and replace it with a bash guard. That'll give you a measure of protection, and cure any potential chain suck issues. Plus it'll be a whole lot cheaper.

· Carbon & Ti rule
5,221 Posts
Now having ridden the bike, Do you feel that the advice pointed you in the right direction ?

Just keen to know because it is important to me to help & not just make it harder for people.

Well, thanks for everyones suggestions..

I found a RIP9 at a great price, and threw some goodies on it.

One thing I just don't understand. Why, if Niner recommends 2x10 on their site, why in their build kit to they build it with a 3x10?? Why do they get built up with 3x10? Doesn't make sense... so I've gotta replace that this winter.

Here she is!!

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.