Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Jay
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi -

So after riding quite a few bikes the last two seasons, I think I've finally decided to pull the trigger on a Rip RDO. I'm also in a pretty lucky position that my LBS has a couple of 5-star demo builds that they're selling that are in great shape for a pretty strong price.

Here's where I'm having some trouble deciding: one bike is a brand new frame with a talas 34 140 fork and the other is a frame that's been ridden (few scrapes, but no cracks or creaks, though) with a Pike fork. $200 less for the used frame with the Pike fork. All other components are basically identical (or close enough to not being a factor in my decision).

I've ridden the Talas and really didn't have any issues with it (it's certainly an upgrade over my current rig), but everything I've read/heard about the Pike has been so good that I'm wondering if it's worth getting a used frame for the (potentially) superior fork. I just haven't had a chance to ride the Pike on any trail.

I'm going to call the shop on Monday and see if they'll swap the forks, but in case he isn't willing to do that I wanted to get some advice regarding the difference in fork vs. a new or used frame. Anyone out there ridden both these forks on their Rip and, if so, any strong preference?

Thanks,

J

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
I rode a Float 34 and Pike, both on my alloy RIP. The 2014 Talas is touted to have a feel more like the Float than precious iterations, so the comparison, being slightly off, is still close.

The Pike is vastly superior.

I'm a big fan of buying used if everything is structurally sound. After a few rides, a new bike is used anyway. It's really as simple as that. You'll notice the ride quality way more than any cosmetic imperfections. We all want a beautiful bike, but it's the ride that makes us addicts, no?

·
Carbon & Ti rule
5,410 Posts
Yes try & get the forks swapped, The Pike is a must have if you can.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts