Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who is running 29x 2.6" on thier RIP RDO bikes? I rode 27.5+ 2.8" last year but recently rode 29" wheels again and found better performance so am wanting to go back to 29. But looking at 2.6" for a happy medium. Found a pair of Bontrager Line 29x40MM wheels, would 40mm rim be too wide for a 2.6" tire?

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
I'm pretty sure i bolted my wifes carbon Ibis wheels to my rip and they fit fine. I can check again when I get home. They have the nobby nick' 29x2.6 on the 40mm ibis 942 carbon rim.

·
Chilling out
6,037 Posts
I have Stan's Flow Mk3 (29mm inner width) 29er, I've used Maxxis Rekon 2.6 and Schwalbe Nobby Nic 2.6, on my v2 RIP9RDO (2017 model). My fork is the Lyrik that Niner was shipping in some builds that first year.

The Rekon 2.6 fills out a few mm larger overall than the Nobby Nic, works great for dry conditions & slickrock stuff but anywhere else I constantly hear little whisps and scratches as the tire pulls stuff through frame and fork.ideal

The Nobby Nic 2.6 fits *ideally* IMO, fills out with 5-8 mm clearance in all aspects from frame and fork, so it takes significant crud pickup to force between frame/tire/fork audibly. Probably still not great if it was wet tacky clay, but then when would that be?

The bontrager rims you mention list with 41mm inner width, to me that's a fair bit of width added, and I'd expect the tires to get noticeably more square and probably expose the sidewalls a bit more.

I'm not sure that a 2.6" tire wouldn't expose too much sidewall, but it'd take a test fit to be sure, it'd also depend on where you ride whether it matters.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.