Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 154 Posts

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
saddens me to write that Jerry died last night on the trails. i only knew him for about a year, but as a sometimes poster and long time reader of these forums, had knew of the guy for a long time.

he was a very passionate and fit 'old guy' who lived in Cumberland right next to a large trail network and rode it almost every day. i met him as he worked part time at a shop near my house.

we came across the emergency response vehicles on the climb last night and they told us one of the popular trails was closed due to a serious medical emergency with a rider. we were shaken up but continued in a different direction. it started to rain and we went up and did some sketchy trails and i lost my mojo and took the roads down about half way through the ride. was feeling sick in the stomach.

at the bottom i passed the SAR truck and they had a Knolly on the back and i recognized the bike. i knew it was Jerry.

it's believed he had a heart attack and was found by riders who came upon him very soon after who performed CPR and called 911.

shitty day...

·
Registered
14,369 Posts
Wow and bummer!...sad news. Never met the man but he seemed so full of life here and enjoyed his candid mtbr style.
RIP Travis Bickle

·
high pivot witchcraft
6,705 Posts
WHAT?

Oh my God. I have been texting with Jerry regularly over the past year, sometimes daily, up until 2 days ago. I rode with him alone, and him and his posse late last summer during an extended western Canada biking vacation.

I don’t know what to say. I am going to text some of his friends right now. I was in the process of finalizing details for my trip out to see him next month, to bike those unbelievable trails in Cumby once again.

What an incredibly horrible loss. I honestly am in shock. I am taking the rest of the day off work and cancelling my group ride tonight.

Sincere condolences to Jerry’s wife and his posse, who all loved his passion, intelligence and always entertaining humour.

Horrible.

·
Cycologist
16,859 Posts
Wow, shocked like so many here. He's one of the first people here I remember coming across when I really became active on this site. I also credit him with finally convincing me to try a dropper (now I have one on all my mtbs). Rest in peace, Jerry.

·
Bikesexual
11,219 Posts
Wow! This is really sad news!

Didn't know him either, but he was always entertaining, and obviously very passionate about the sport.

RIP! My thoughts go out to his loved ones.

·
Self Appointed Judge&Jury
84,086 Posts
Wow, so terrible. We had a back and forth relationship on here. I always respected his opinions, he always had one. Great guy and it saddens me to hear this. All we can do is have peace knowing he went doing what he loved, his passion.

R.I.P. Jerry

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
Wow, so terrible. We had a back and forth relationship on here. I always respected his opinions, he always had one. Great guy and it saddens me to hear this. All we can do is have peace knowing he went doing what he loved, his passion.

R.I.P. Jerry
Indeed, terrible to lose a rider, and 61 is so young it seems, but going out on the trail is better than in the hospital or a clinic.

Thanks for letting the forum know. Rest in peace.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Speechless. RIP Travis Bickle. One of the memorable characters on MTBR. I always respected his opinion, even when I disagreed with him. His candor and humor will be missed. Deepest condolences to his loved ones.

1 - 20 of 154 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.