Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Hybrid Leftys aren't real
16,285 Posts
Well that just 180'd my evening....

30 years of wheel building, and every last stinking one of them, laced his way.

That was an excellent tribute too, thanks for posting it.

Cheers sir, despite never meeting, you shall be missed.

·
Fat-tired Roadie
18,453 Posts
I'll have to reread his book.

I was thinking the other day that the wheel is a determinate enough structure that it can probably be optimized for weight or rotational inertia with a function, and not just tests and hope...

·
Registered
7,696 Posts
I really love this jersey or vest. View attachment 986654
Photo by Ray Hosler of Laurence Malone

Signal cycles did a jersey in sort of an old school specialized color scheme a few years ago that was kind of similar. I should have ordered one!

Nice find, H.
I built a wheel or two back in the day with his book. It's still around somewhere. I think he was a big help with Avocet seats, tires, and computers as well. He had a large presence on some bicycle usenet page right? Those would be fun to read. He always had good solid info unafraid to tell it like it is.

G, I've got a jersey or two like that that I could maybe part with. And a side note, I was lucky enough to get a chance to toe the starting line with Laurence Malone in about 1990 or so when he was making his masters comeback.

·
0 Posts
Bummed. The old masters are dropping like flies. Where are the new cycling authors? Oh yeh, they're banned for life.

·
Registered
5,985 Posts
Bummer. It's sad to hear of his passing. He was a great contributor to the biking world.

·
Registered
885 Posts
I have the book but damned if I'm smart enough to understand it. Over twenty five years in my collection! Hell, still built a few hundred wheels anyways.

That guy was amazing, I knew so little about him and his life until unfortunately after his passing.

·
-_-
4,748 Posts
R.I.P. ya gruff old fart. I always enjoyed the rare chance to see or talk to ya. The book you gave me is still in the collection, right on the shelf where I can see it, and there's a lot less dust on it since everyone who talks bikes w me is shown it.

·
gobsmacked
8,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I built a wheel or two back in the day with his book. It's still around somewhere. I think he was a big help with Avocet seats, tires, and computers as well. He had a large presence on some bicycle usenet page right? Those would be fun to read. He always had good solid info unafraid to tell it like it is.

G, I've got a jersey or two like that that I could maybe part with. And a side note, I was lucky enough to get a chance to toe the starting line with Laurence Malone in about 1990 or so when he was making his masters comeback.
cool. Thanks, FB!

·
He be a moose too.
2,161 Posts
He had a large presence on some bicycle usenet page right?
He was on rec.bicycles in the late 80's. He didn't post about how his daily ride went nor did he talk about a great deal he got at some shop rather after somebody talking some bs about how using talcum powder on their tubes gave them less flats or some such, he would come in with facts and data and leave the person a smoking, flattened mess.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
1 - 20 of 54 Posts