Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week I heard through the grapevine that Jay was not doing well, and it seems the worst has happened regarding Jay's fight with cancer. He passed on Saturday April 24th. I only had the honor of riding with him once, but he was one of those kind souls a person never forgets, and I can still picture his smile. Prayers go out to his family and friends.

From a post he made almost two years ago

XRAYO said:
I wanted to post something to the NM MTBR members. You don't realize what all the pics and banter mean to someone who loves this sport as much as anything yet can't ride... I'm lurking around here every chance I get.

I last really rode my mountain bike on October 7, 2007 when I joined SSweetleaf and CDaddy up the Winsor to the Santa Fe Ski Basin. It was a beautiful day, full of sunshine and water, climbing and challenge. I was the caboose all day but since I had a "few" years on either of my partners, I wasn't the least bit upset. There were moments when the pounding of my heart almost became too much to bare but I pushed through it, blaming it on too much work around the house and not enough on the trail. We reached the top and I rested on a log in the beautiful aspen shadows while preparing for the ride back down to Tesuque. Nothing would have implied that I had a demon inside of me ready to take me down. At 48 years old, I had ridden thousands of miles during the last year or so and had lost 20 pounds. I looked and felt better than I had in 10, maybe 15 years. I was seemingly a picture of health as my medical profile "proved". My wife supported me because she saw how good it was for me in so many ways. I was a mountain biker. I loved everything about it; my bike, the space, forest, peace, beauty, physical and mental challenge, and, of course, the friends.

My life took a turn the very next weekend when I awoke with terrible stomach pains that turned out to be colon cancer - of the most advanced and aggressive varieties. Taken completely by surprise, I had no prior tangible warning signs though a blood test would show that I was a bit anemic. I was rushed to the hospital for emergency surgery for removal of a complete colon blockage. Along with the cancer tumor, they took more than half of my colon. Did they get it all? Doubtful, I was told. And, they were right. The doctors told me my life had changed. Little did I know at the time how much.

Without belaboring the details, it's now been 7 months. I've been hospitalized three times and had three major surgeries. I've lost 60 pounds. Frankly, I've almost died twice, brought back from the brink by the strength of many who have helped me along with their skill, love, and passion. BTW, my wife keeps my bike in view when I'm home, watching me "eye it over" when I pass it by, knowing its allure and what that desire can do for me now. I awoke in the hospital recently with mountain biking action shots taped to the walls surrounding me - the first thing I would see. Yep, she knows...

It's been a time when I've come to reconcile many old wounds, think, prioritize, and create contingency plans. Medical directives and wills are complete. All of my siblings and many friends have had their requisite colonoscopies thanks to me. My "house" is in order. In a strange and ironic way, this time has been well spent. I am at peace. Everything is different now.

I know in my heart that I will return to the trail but it will be awhile. I just returned home from an 18 day hospital stay. I've got another "war wound" with fresh staples running down my abdomen. Walking is torture. Chemo makes me sick and exhausted. It's temporary - I keep assuring myself. I dream of riding. Like Lance, I'll return - maybe stronger than before.

The weather has changed over the last few weeks. I look out my bedroom window and know you guys are out there living life and doing what you love. It's green outside now, the creek is running down the Winsor. I can smell the dampness of that trail. I live mountain biking through my computer, my memories of all the great rides, your words, and your pictures.

I wanted you to know.

Peace.

Attachments

·
Int'l Man of Leisure
3,268 Posts
Reminder to the rest of us that Life passes far too quickly, so love, ride and do what makes you (and those closest to you) happy every chance you get.

Rest In Peace

·
Fragilie
866 Posts
Biklophile said:
I wasn't going to ride today because of the wind but life is short,maybe I should.

RIP
Plus one! I know cranks will be spinning no doubt today.

I was thinking about this fellow rider a few weeks ago wondering how he was doing. Never met him, but remember his post that Andy dug up. I'm truly saddened by this. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family.

·
Bandolero
1,566 Posts
Sad to heard this.

RIP...my best wishes to his family.
RCC

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
No more surgeries and stays in the hospital, just the peace of a long and never ending Trail. Have a good ride my friend. My respects to the family.

·
Registered
278 Posts
RIP Jay.

This is also Jay from geoman gear.

He was a positive, kick-ass dude doing his very best to beat cancer. he'll be missed.

saddened by this....Jay was a great spirit and a super great person to know.

·
Is the bike OK?
977 Posts
Solo'n between the Snow Flakes

Almost didn't ride tonight due to 5pm snow flurries but my wife told me to get my arse out there or I'll regret it. I jacketed myself up and road 3-Bears/Cabra/Bayo in between the storm clouds. Heading down Guaje Road I thought about Jay looking down and having the best views ever of all the NM bikers out on the trail. I had never meet Jay but remembered well his original post that AndyN put up this afternoon. RIP Jay! This ride's for you!:

Nature Natural environment Atmosphere Plant community Landscape

·
Int'l Man of Leisure
3,268 Posts
Last evening, I shot this Trail Marker to Heaven pic... fitting.

·
Registered
3 Posts
J

I went to high school with J, and also was able to reconnect with his while we were in SF for ZoZobra. We will be celebrating his life at our all school reunion this year in Bemidji Minn. I feel fortunate to have know him and Sarah..... RIP

·
crap magnet
572 Posts
The folks at Geomangear (which is still open for business, btw) were kind enough to send me some Geomangear stickers. I'll keep them with me for any locals I bump into at the trailhead-just ask. I'll be happy drop one in the mail too. Just send me your addy via PM.

Not too big. Perfect for a toolbox or top tube/seat tube.

Attachments

·
High Alpine Adventure
1,842 Posts
A good man that Jay...

Wow, this is sad to hear... I was introduced to Jay last year when he contacted FooMTB to donated a Garmin 305 to promote our trail building activities. I read about his situation on Krista's Blog and it made me appreciate someone who rode every day, not like it was his last, but like it was the beginning of something new.

Enjoy the eternal ride Jay, you deserve it!!!

·
Lone Wolf McQuade
2,418 Posts
Biklophile said:
I wasn't going to ride today because of the wind but life is short,maybe I should.

RIP
x2, very sad to hear, he passed so quickly. Blessings to his family.

Matt

·
Registered
3 Posts
J

Looking forward to riding in SF for J's memorial. Trying to get my fat butt in shape.

Also, All of his classmates from Minn are also going to have a memorial in Northern Minn (Bemidji) on Aug. 14th at Ruttgers Resort on Lake Bemidji. Its our all school reunion, this is going to be a huge event. It's amazing the number of friends that J has. :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts