Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
961 Posts
rockman said:
Too many haphazardly built wooden ramps and features right next to a heavily travelled road. I don't think the trail was obliterated except maybe the big gap jump.
FF trail was still there as of early November but the stunts were gone for the most part,,,,,,,I think the FS did a bit more of work later in the month. Who knows the story of the name Flying Fish and how/when it was named? Rockman and Garducci can't play,,,,,,,,RockyChrysler probably knows the story. GO!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,529 Posts
rockman said:
Too many haphazardly built wooden ramps and features right next to a heavily travelled road. I don't think the trail was obliterated except maybe the big gap jump.
From what I have heard all of the built features were removed. DJ's and all. Those wooden ramps were terribly built and I would imagine as a hiker those stunts were seen as garbage piles out in the forest. The NF really doesn't like wood work, especially the pallet and 2X4 kind of woodwork we see around here. That kind of building is very disliked by land managers and the worlds best trail builders. You won't find stunts like that anywhere in BC.

Also the location as RM mentioned is perfect for creating user conflict. There are a lot of hikers that walk through there and I think the whole full face dh crowd probably scares them a little and takes away from the experience they are looking for.

All in all though the Flying Fish stunts and popularity of the trail last year has really put this kind of riding on the radar of the Coconino NF and they really want to find solutions for our user group. So it seems it was a really good thing for dh/fr here in northern AZ.

Some of you already know about the Flagstaff Gravity Riders and the talks we have been having with the Coconino NF, I can't promise anything yet but things are very positive so far. We are hoping to eventually create a few legal dh/fr trails on Elden and work towards having a bike park at Snowbowl.

I really want everyone to know that the destruction of the FF stunts was not a move to ruin riding for us and it's not an us vs. them kind of issue as people have suggested in the past. We all need to be patient but remain persistent and focus on the long term big picture of what we really want to see in the future. This process isn't going to happen overnight and the trails won't magically build themselves but the wheels are in motion.

I really believe that this is going to work out and the riding will be 10X better then what we have now, just imagine 20 plus people out there on trail days working together with the National Forest to create well built and super fun lines. It's almost hard to believe! I'm super stoked and look forward to see what's around the corner for Arizona's progressive riding community. Cheers, J

·
******ed or Branded??
2,095 Posts
raisingarizona said:
From what I have heard all of the built features were removed. DJ's and all. Those wooden ramps were terribly built and I would imagine as a hiker those stunts were seen as garbage piles out in the forest. The NF really doesn't like wood work, especially the pallet and 2X4 kind of woodwork we see around here. That kind of building is very disliked by land managers and the worlds best trail builders. You won't find stunts like that anywhere in BC.

Also the location as RM mentioned is perfect for creating user conflict. There are a lot of hikers that walk through there and I think the whole full face dh crowd probably scares them a little and takes away from the experience they are looking for.

All in all though the Flying Fish stunts and popularity of the trail last year has really put this kind of riding on the radar of the Coconino NF and they really want to find solutions for our user group. So it seems it was a really good thing for dh/fr here in northern AZ.

Some of you already know about the Flagstaff Gravity Riders and the talks we have been having with the Coconino NF, I can't promise anything yet but things are very positive so far. We are hoping to eventually create a few legal dh/fr trails on Elden and work towards having a bike park at Snowbowl.

I really want everyone to know that the destruction of the FF stunts was not a move to ruin riding for us and it's not an us vs. them kind of issue as people have suggested in the past. We all need to be patient but remain persistent and focus on the long term big picture of what we really want to see in the future. This process isn't going to happen overnight and the trails won't magically build themselves but the wheels are in motion.

I really believe that this is going to work out and the riding will be 10X better then what we have now, just imagine 20 plus people out there on trail days working together with the National Forest to create well built and super fun lines. It's almost hard to believe! I'm super stoked and look forward to see what's around the corner for Arizona's progressive riding community. Cheers, J
Great response! I am glad that both parties are going in the same direction as it seems on your post. Fingers, toes, and all body parts crossed in hopes for a good middle ground. Ready and waiting to build and ride to what the future holds!

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
raisingarizona said:

:thumbsup: :D :D

·
Registered
28 Posts
Dash Riprock™ said:
Whatever happened with the petition that was floating around in here for DH riding at snowbowl? Anybody?

Dash
Those petitions were presented to the forest service and Snowbowl in a meeting with both. Both parties are open to making it happen but it will be a long process. Snowbowl will not take any more projects on until they are done with their current plans for expansion. It will take some time but I believe some good stuff is coming for Flagstaff.

·
Just Joshin' ya!
1,981 Posts
29er bro said:
Not my type of riding, but very sweet trail!!!! Why did it get torn down...?
I am sure that all of the hikers who climb up Flying Fish (which were many last time I rode it) enjoyed having people like all of us flying over shi* and almost running them over as well. It was only a matter of time before it all came down.

Lesson: Popular multi use trails and DH don't work. I am looking forward to the blistering heat to come back so I can ride down Holbert in peace.

·
Registered
8,105 Posts
elrancho66 said:
FF trail was still there as of early November but the stunts were gone for the most part,,,,,,,I think the FS did a bit more of work later in the month. Who knows the story of the name Flying Fish and how/when it was named? Rockman and Garducci can't play,,,,,,,,RockyChrysler probably knows the story. GO!:thumbsup:
All right El Rancho do us a favor and tell us the story. I know it doesn't have anything to do with fish with gills and goes back to the 80s.

·
Registered
961 Posts
rockman said:
All right El Rancho do us a favor and tell us the story. I know it doesn't have anything to do with fish with gills and goes back to the 80s.
Rockman, Someone must know the story of 'How Flying Fish was named",,,,,,,I'm holding out for that person. Correct answer recieves a free all day pass at Snowbowl when the DH runs are up and running:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.