Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
falling off since 1975
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cross posted from the shocks forum.

Noticed yesterday morning that the venerable Alps 4R on the back of the tandem was compressed right down. It's never done this before, and as I suspected, attempting to pressure it up just resulted in a lot of hissing from the seal.

It has sentimental value as it was the shock that the tandem came with, and it's always performed well on there. With it's big fat gold body being very different compared to current Fox rear shocks it gets kids asking if it's the new model. We always tell 'em it's a hush-hush prototype of next years model.

Neither of the two main shock service folk in the UK will touch it - I've tried to get it serviced in the past.

If I can get a seal kit my not so local bike shop are willing to have a go, but it's going to be three weeks or so before I get a chance to visit them.

Is it worth bothering, or should we just buy a more modern shock?

Turner content? It's that tandem again.

·
Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
12,942 Posts
what a drag nick. my 5r finally started to seep not many months ago after i hung up the burner. i too am considerin either beggin fox for a service or tryin to score a original 4r replacement. i allowed mine to get away but thats another story.

what i can tell ya is i got a screamin deal on a float rl last year and the diff was amazin. theres no comparison. if ya have any plans to keep ridin this thing, and i know ya do, go find a newer damper. if ya pay more than $150 for a '05 model, id be surprised.

·
Registered
8,564 Posts
I got an Alps 4 on a bike in 96 and it lasted 13 months. It just stopped moving, wouldn't compress at all, and the warranty just expired. The shop said it would cost $150 to get it serviced or they could get me a Cane Creek AD10 for $200. I went with the CC at the time but that was 9 years ago. I am now riding and loving a RP3.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.