Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Angry bunny
4,948 Posts
Looks great, but why that stem??
I use one of those on my weight weenie XC bikes and would not think of one for a more aggressive trail build.

·
Angry bunny
4,948 Posts
Ahhh OK.
Are you using the reducer cups and a standard steerer fork??
Can you take a pic of the front so that I can see how that looks??
I am worried that it will look a little strange when I get my replacement Jet next year.

·
Registered
349 Posts
rear der cable is going into the rear triangle the wrong way, needs to go on the outside of the Y brace, same with the rear brake cable. Front brake cable needs to go on the inside of the fork, i see this one isn't done yet though.

Marta Mag's on a rip? nice!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
this is it for now, the fork 1 1/8 with headset adapter, also i will be cutting the brake hoses later, about rear der cable going inside the rear triangle, well, i like the look , no tire rubbing,

Attachments

·
Angry bunny
4,948 Posts

As I expected.
UGLY!!!!
So despite the fact that I will be getting a new frame in January with a free hedset and reducer cups, I will also be looking for a new fork with tapered steerer.
I am going to sound negative again but this is another cost that Jet owners have had forced upon them by the recall.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I routed the cables inside the Y on my Jet & they rubbed on the shock body. Looked fine on the stand, but after a few rides, the sticker was worn through & some of the plastic shock body was worn away. I don't know whether or not the Rip Y is a little wider than the Jet, but when I get my new Rip frame, cables will go on the outside.

·
Always Learning
9,607 Posts
TR said:

As I expected.
UGLY!!!!
So despite the fact that I will be getting a new frame in January with a free hedset and reducer cups, I will also be looking for a new fork with tapered steerer.
I am going to sound negative again but this is another cost that Jet owners have had forced upon them by the recall.
You mean the interface looks "ugly" to you? I'll agree, it's not too clean of a look. Considering the cash involved of swapping forks - I may learn to live with the look.:rolleyes:

I'm still trying to decide if I should try out my Reba at 100mm or lay out some more cash for a tapered steerer fork with 120mm of travel on the discounted RIP frame. The new Marzocchi in black looks sweet. I'd have to spring for the Chris King ISO axle conversion kit to take my hub from 9mm QR to 15mm - so that's another $65 - 80 on top of these crazy fork prices of $700-$899.

If I end up buying two forks - one for the RIP and a new tapered fork for the replacement JET when it comes next year - this recall indeed is going to set me back a heck of a lot of $$$$.

I'm so clueless with regards to tapered steerer forks. What are our options in terms of who is making them for 29"ers? Do any of them come with 9mm QR as an option?

BB

·
Registered
681 Posts
i think most if not all of the tapred steerer forks are currently oem only.......eventually they will be available for aftermarket purchase......my shop had to order mine directly from niner, as niner could not sell it directly to me.........per fox rules !!

the new specialized 29er s-works carbon hardtail comes with a carbon crown and carbon tapered steerer rockshox, but isn't available for general purchase yet.......so they are coming.......

·
Angry bunny
4,948 Posts
BruceBrown said:
You mean the interface looks "ugly" to you? I'll agree, it's not too clean of a look. Considering the cash involved of swapping forks - I may learn to live with the look.:rolleyes:

I'm still trying to decide if I should try out my Reba at 100mm or lay out some more cash for a tapered steerer fork with 120mm of travel on the discounted RIP frame. The new Marzocchi in black looks sweet. I'd have to spring for the Chris King ISO axle conversion kit to take my hub from 9mm QR to 15mm - so that's another $65 - 80 on top of these crazy fork prices of $700-$899.

If I end up buying two forks - one for the RIP and a new tapered fork for the replacement JET when it comes next year - this recall indeed is going to set me back a heck of a lot of $$$$.

I'm so clueless with regards to tapered steerer forks. What are our options in terms of who is making them for 29"ers? Do any of them come with 9mm QR as an option?

BB
That iis exactly what I am saying Bruce.
Aesthetically the interface is displeasing and I dont think I will be willing to "live with it" and will end up having another cost.

·
COMBO - President
296 Posts
BruceBrown said:

BB
Consider buying a Fox conversion to tapered fork for $285. Includes a new tapered steerer, crown and stanchions. Available now directly from Fox.

·
Always Learning
9,607 Posts
FASTK said:
Consider buying a Fox conversion to tapered fork for $285. Includes a new tapered steerer, crown and stanchions. Available now directly from Fox.
I don't own a Fox fork at the moment, so are you saying to pick up a FOX 1 1/8 steerer tube fork, then buy this tapered conversion bit for $285 to convert it over? Dang, this is starting to sound really expensive. I'll call the local Niner dealer to see if he can order the OEM for me. Otherwise, that new Marzocchi is looking tasty....

Sounds like the frames are ahead of the forks in terms of being able to buy a frame with the tapered head tube and the forks are to follow at some point between now and in the spring. Or is their product available right now that I can order from Speedgoat or somewhere else? RockShox, etc...?

Clueless I remain...

BB

·
Angry bunny
4,948 Posts
Bruce, I have been looking around for a fork for the Jet with no luck so far.
Discussion of 2010 models being tapered in the 29er forum but none released yet that I have seen.

·
Registered
681 Posts
suvowner said:
i think most if not all of the tapred steerer forks are currently oem only.......eventually they will be available for aftermarket purchase......my shop had to order mine directly from niner, as niner could not sell it directly to me.........per fox rules !!

the new specialized 29er s-works carbon hardtail comes with a carbon crown and carbon tapered steerer rockshox, but isn't available for general purchase yet.......so they are coming.......

read carefully.............

·
Always Learning
9,607 Posts
TR said:
Bruce, I have been looking around for a fork for the Jet with no luck so far.
Discussion of 2010 models being tapered in the 29er forum but none released yet that I have seen.
It seems we are getting up to speed on the reality of the new forks and availability (or lack of). And in my case, the reality of wanting to ride the RIP from now until the JET shows up next year meaning I may have to wait for a fork (unless I go with the 1 1/8 "ugly" interface:skep: ) until product is available for sale.

Manitou, Fox and RockShox were the initial three companies that Niner convinced to build the tapered steerer/through axle forks.

The new Marzocchi TST Micro comes in 120mm and 140mm, but I remain confused on whether or not they are both actually available in tapered steerer. I know the 140mm one is as it was designed for the Niner WFO. I can't tell from here. But some of the online shopping sites says you have the option of tapered steerer or 1 1/8 as well as white or black for the color choice. I just don't know if this fork is available yet for purchase anywhere - and if the 120mm has actually been reviewed by anyone.

Back to work...

BB

·
Registered
681 Posts
BruceBrown said:
It seems we are getting up to speed on the reality of the new forks and availability (or lack of). And in my case, the reality of wanting to ride the RIP from now until the JET shows up next year meaning I may have to wait for a fork (unless I go with the 1 1/8 "ugly" interface:skep: ) until product is available for sale.

Manitou, Fox and RockShox were the initial three companies that Niner convinced to build the tapered steerer/through axle forks.

The new Marzocchi TST Micro comes in 120mm and 140mm, but I remain confused on whether or not they are both actually available in tapered steerer. I know the 140mm one is as it was designed for the Niner WFO. I can't tell from here. But some of the online shopping sites says you have the option of tapered steerer or 1 1/8 as well as white or black for the color choice. I just don't know if this fork is available yet for purchase anywhere - and if the 120mm has actually been reviewed by anyone.

Back to work...

BB

the jet with a tapered fork and carbon crown and steerer would be nice....but my rip rides so good wiht the fox tapered steerer i will just wait for the carbon jet....that rip is just damn fun with that fox fork....

·
Always Learning
9,607 Posts
suvowner said:
the jet with a tapered fork and carbon crown and steerer would be nice....but my rip rides so good wiht the fox tapered steerer i will just wait for the carbon jet....that rip is just damn fun with that fox fork....
I tracked one of the OEM Fox forks down and ordered it. I should have it sometime before Santa Claus flies over the house.:madman:

drecastro - your bike looks great! Glad to hear it rides as the best bike you've ever had. I'm looking forward to trying mine out as well. Oh, where, oh where is my little Fox fork, oh where, oh where can you be?:cool:

BB

1 - 20 of 25 Posts