Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2012 RIP 9 that I bought from a friend. It has a Reba RLT TI fork, which appears to be a 140mm model (It's got ~130-135mm of stanchion showing).

I have a cane creek angleset on the bike that I just bought. Right now it makes an occasional metallic click or popping sound when I either do a drop (not a roll) or lift the front wheel up over a ledge.

I have tightened up and checked out the headset and everything looks ok.

I have always been skeptical of the technology, it just seems like a problem waiting to happen. I am going to take it to the shop next week to have them take a look at it, but wanted to ask here if anyone had any experience with these.

I am not necessarily sure that I need the slacker angle and would probably be happier swapping this out for a normal headset if that is the best course of action.

Is it even possible to just swap the bearings and leave the cups installed?

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
334 Posts
I have read similar posts of this sort about the Angle Set on MTBR. Many were having good luck with the Works Component version, if you are interested in keeping the slacker feel. That is the direction I will be going if I decide I want a more downhill oriented rig.

If you are not interested in the concept in general anymore, the standard Cane Creek headset are still very good indeed.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't think that I need an extra degree of slack. If the shop doesn't find something obviously wrong with this, I will probably go back to the regular cane creek HS and be done with it. Austin is all ledges and drops, and having to worry every time my wheel leaves the ground is annoying.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I spent many a hours, and had many occasion to go OTB in the treachery called the green belt. I used to drop in behind the Toys R US. I know the trails well. And a slacker head tube than my Jet9RDO that I was riding down there was in order. Your Rip should be sufficient without the angleset, especially if the noise is driving you nuts.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That is my main trail, I am down there every weekend and know most of the 45+ miles by heart.

My SC Blur has ~68* angle and I am guessing that the Rip with no angleset is 69.5* with a 140mm fork. The angleset should be putting it close to the blur, but I don't think I need to be that slack. Especially when the thing doesn't want to work right.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Awesome riding down there. Very technical. Sweet Sixteen, Cheese Grater and on and on. Emma Long... Yeah the Rip at 69.5 should be fine, and since you have the standard HS just give it a try. You will find out if its gonna work pretty fast. Especially on trails that are so familiar to you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.