Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any one running Reba Team 29er with maxle and larger than 185mm rotor? Just finished mine and after a couple rides found the front fork flexing at the axle under braking. Rotor is200mm with Formula Mega brakes. I weigh in at 220 with out gear. Maybe the rotor is just too much for the fork. Just wanted to see if any one had a set up similar and is seeing the same flex. I posted a similar question in the brakes forum as well. :skep:

Attachments

·
Banned
7,930 Posts
I can't speak for that particular Reba fork, but the 100mm QR I had briefly on my RIP with a 180mm rotor, what with weighing 240 wet, a 2008 model, was a flexy noodle under my weight and downright dangerous. It had a strong tendency to chatter while flexing, and pulling unbelievably hard to the left under hard braking.

I ended up going with a Manitou 120 x 20mm throughaxle. Much, much better in the chattering and flex department.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
I run a Reba Team TA @ 120 on both my FS & HT bikes (Behemoth & Paradox), and use a 200 rotor on both with Formula Mega's.

I weigh 190 and have only noticed how stiff the whole front is, especially coming from a Reba 100 QR - comical noodle on steeps under braking, and a White Brothers Fluid 135. The Team is by far the better fork.

I would look at set up as the fork is well stiff.

Hope this helps

·
Let's ride
7,125 Posts
That Reba TA is a good fork, but still light and still flexing at the limits. I wouldn't worry about it, unless it bothers you. At your size, and that rotor size, you've got a lot of leverage against the fork.

·
beater
6,101 Posts
Meh. I have a '06 REBA at 100mm on my EMD with a 203mm disc - Juicy 7 and I never noticed an issue with the braking either with the a through-bolt or the DT Swiss ratchet. I'm not claiming it was a stiff fork, but it did the job. I would expect the Maxle is stiffer. Perception is personal, obviously. FWIW, during my time on the EMD I ranged from 240-225.

·
beater
6,101 Posts
BTW- I recommend droping the stock bash on the SLX and slap on a e13. Great aesthetic upgrade, and saves you some weight. I couldn't believe what that SLX bash ring weighed. Did the same on my WFO.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the advice everybody. I ended up having a spare 200mm rotor and switched them out. Also swapped pads from front to rear. Checked and re-aligned front caliper as well. Seems OK!
Just got a little nervous since that section of the lowers is basically hollow. A buddy has a spare 180mm mount and rotor I can go with if it bugs too much.

Evasive - good idea on the bash. Saw the pic of yours and it does look sweet! It's the e13 supercharger right?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts