Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently broke the RIP 9 frame I was riding, one of the version 1.2 sizes. I currently have a new frame on the way, but the more I look into what I want to do, the more it appears I am getting in way over what I would like to spend right now. I would love to just build up a brand new spec, but since I wasn't really planning on it, I would like to do the most sensible thing without ending up spending $1,000's more than I want to. So far, I have the following question about the headet that I would like some help with.

HEADSET: Assuming I stick with the Manitou Minute I had on the broken frame 1 1/8" steerer, which headset would I need to accommodate the tapered head tube on the new 2011 frame. Niner's website says it is built around a
•1.125”-1.5” taper head tube with “inset or zero stack” style headset, 44mm upper, 56mm lower (headset not included) Cane Creek standard description: ZS44/28.6|ZS56/40
Can anyone help me with the correct CK model # I should be looking for?

Also, if I am drooling over the new REBA RLT TI fork, would I need a completely new headset to work with this fork if I were to upgrade?

Thanks,

Attachments

·
Registered
324 Posts
I had the same concerns as you when i ordered my 2010 frame. Your frame is coming with an included headset correct? If so, it should come with 2 crown races as well, one for a tapered steerer, and one for a 1 1/8 steerer. I dont know if the 2011 is any different, but this was true for my 2010 frame. I couldnt find any info about this on the niner website or any dealer website, but i did stumble across a brief mention of it somewhere... so i decided to wait and see if this was true before buying another headset, and when i opened the box and went through the parts, lo and behold there was the reducer crown race! Very nice! :thumbsup:

·
Sugary Exoskeleton
4,659 Posts
Pynis McDermott said:
Bump.

As far as I know the 2011 will not come with a headset.

I did pull the trigger on a REBA RLT TI with Tapered Steerer. I know I need an integrated (zero stack) 1.5" to 1 1/8" headset, but I find myself getting confused once I start looking for one. Can anyone who has a better understanding at what type of headset I might need help me with a suggestion on brands and models that might work?

Thanks
Niner has a headset tech download with specs on the website I believe. Plus I am pretty sure they ship tapered headtube frames with headsets.

The 56mm inset lower is one of the most common sizes, the 44mm inset top is the inset standard for 1-1/8 so no problems there. 44/56 Inside Diameters are your numbers to remember when shopping.

It is kind of confusing with all the different tapered headset varieties on the market right now. I hope over the next few years the industry settles on a single dimension for internal lower 1p5 cup.

JMH

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bump.

As far as I know the 2011 will not come with a headset.

I did pull the trigger on a REBA RLT TI with Tapered Steerer. I know I need an integrated (zero stack) 1.5" to 1 1/8" headset, but I find myself getting confused once I start looking for one. Can anyone who has a better understanding at what type of headset I might need help me with a suggestion on brands and models that might work?

Thanks

·
Registered
254 Posts
I have my 2011 RIP on order and was told no headset is included. They gave me a suggested Chris King and Cane Creek model.

Be warned... Chris Kings are back ordered (I ordered mine in late Feb at the time) until mid May!!!

However, Cane Creeks are seemingly on back order everywhere also. I am due mine from Bike Bling in a couple of weeks...

But to answer the question, they will not come with headset kits.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dirt Dude said:
I have my 2011 RIP on order and was told no headset is included. They gave me a suggested Chris King and Cane Creek model.

Be warned... Chris Kings are back ordered (I ordered mine in late Feb at the time) until mid May!!!

However, Cane Creeks are seemingly on back order everywhere also. I am due mine from Bike Bling in a couple of weeks...

But to answer the question, they will not come with headset kits.
What CK or CCreek Models are you looking at or are on back order????????

·
Registered
254 Posts
Pynis McDermott said:
What CK or CCreek Models are you looking at or are on back order????????
Sorry, had it backwards... The Cane Creek is on back order until May. These two - had to order each piece from them

http://www.canecreek.com/component-...tom&topName=110&topProduct=110.ZS44 Short Top

Here is the Chris King one that should be here in a couple of weeks...

http://www.bikebling.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=ChrisKing-InSet-Tapered

If you know where they are not back ordered, let me know... The issue I really have is that both companies never told me they were back ordered until I called after over a week of not getting it.

I think these companies should email you immediately when the items are known to be back ordered so you can look elsewhere...

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Dirt Dude. I came across the Chris King headset on Bike Bling today. I can wait a couple of weeks to get it since my new frame is a few weeks out as well. Can't wait to put that new Hot Tamale together.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts