Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone out there having probs with the cable hanging up on the rear tire or the rear der ghost shifting as the suspension moves through its travel?? Please chime in. Thanks!

·
I am Walt
6,393 Posts
Tbone said:
anyone out there having probs with the cable hanging up on the rear tire or the rear der ghost shifting as the suspension moves through its travel?? Please chime in. Thanks!
I have not had any problems with the cable hanging up on the rear tire, but on the drive-side, the front der cable is getting scraped by the suspension as it moves up. The cable housing has been worn through and I can see the cable. The front der still shifts fine, though.

I am having a ton of problems with the rear der ghost shifting. I can get it tuned on the stand, but when I get on it, I get all sorts of shifting problems. I have to sort of over-tune it to get it to sort of shift OK on the trail.

I may take it in to have the der cabling re-done and re-tuned as it's very frustrating. Particularly with a SRAM X-9 drivetrain, which is typically pretty smooth.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Same problem here, but for me the rear tire starts chewing up the rear brake line and my Rohloff cable lines whenever the rear has to pivot significantly. Gonna have to retie everything and see if I can get it to stop.

At the same time, I might as well lube up all the pivots to loosen up the rear suspension, it seems pretty slow right now after only a few rides, any tips on this?

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
waltaz said:
I am having a ton of problems with the rear der ghost shifting. I can get it tuned on the stand, but when I get on it, I get all sorts of shifting problems. I have to sort of over-tune it to get it to sort of shift OK on the trail.

Exactly, have had X9 on other bikes - absolutely solid. Havin a rough go at it on this one. Slippery Pig installed Nokon housings and zip tied it to the frame, we'll see how it goes.

OC, I lubed up the pivots on mine with some 10 wt oil, non detergent and wow, it's a different beast now. Very lively.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
I've been riding and testing various versions of the RIP 9 for almost two years now and haven't had any problems with ghost shifting. I've also never had any tire rub problems, but I've been riding a medium and size of frame and length of derailleur/brake housing plays a part in this. I can easily see how the cable might bend inward on compression and hit the tire.

Here is a picture of something that can solve this problem. In about a week and a half we should have a ton of these in stock, so just contact us at info[email protected] and we'll send one out to you free of charge. If you can't wait that long, go by a Specialized dealer and see if the dealer has an extra one he can spare. They come on some of their enduro and big hit bikes. This will both keep the cable from bending in and hitting the tire, or bending out and hitting your ankles.

As far as ghost shifting is concerned, it's possible that one of your cable housing lengths is too short. This will cause ghost shifting. Often times with the SRAM rear derailleur, if you cut the housing to fit from the rear stop to the derailleur (on the SRAM rear derailleurs there's no loop on the rear housing, it just goes directly into the b knuckle) and then adjust the B knuckle adjustment AFTER cutting the cable housing, it will rotate the body of the derailleur just enough to make the cable you just cut for it too short. This could be one culprit for ghost shifting. The other would be the cable connecting the main frame to the rear triangle. Just make sure that both of these housing lengths are long enough.

I hope this helps.

Steve
Niner Bikes

Attachments

·
I am Walt
6,393 Posts
Niner Bikes said:
As far as ghost shifting is concerned, it's possible that one of your cable housing lengths is too short. This will cause ghost shifting. Often times with the SRAM rear derailleur, if you cut the housing to fit from the rear stop to the derailleur (on the SRAM rear derailleurs there's no loop on the rear housing, it just goes directly into the b knuckle) and then adjust the B knuckle adjustment AFTER cutting the cable housing, it will rotate the body of the derailleur just enough to make the cable you just cut for it too short. This could be one culprit for ghost shifting. The other would be the cable connecting the main frame to the rear triangle. Just make sure that both of these housing lengths are long enough.

I hope this helps.

Steve
Niner Bikes
Thanks, Steve. Good stuff. I know that re rear der cable housing is too short and am planning to redo it shortly. I'm pretty sure that's my issue with the ghost shifting. I'll post an update.

Walt in AZ (who LOVES his RIP...)

·
Dr Gadget is IN
2,395 Posts
When I routed my front der, I tried the behind-the-seat-tube/inside-the-rocker route - with 5mm housing, and it immediately got cut. I rerouted to ahead-of-ST/outside-the-rocker, which took a ziptie at the ST to work. Perfect since then.

First cut on the rear der, had a bit of ghost. The cure was to cut the housing at the ST to minimum length on the stand. The housing is touching the pivot unsagged. Once it sags all is well, and no more ghosts. I did adjust the B screw on the X-9 before I sized that housing.

No tire rub/leg rub problems yet.

Pivot lube: Ya'll actually opened up the bearings and oiled them? Vs stock grease?

·
GoCyco
359 Posts
XT or XTR FD?

I'm setting up my RIP (just came in the mail today!)
I see that an XT FD is recommended (and even included). I have a XTR FD from my stripped-down Epiphany. Will it function properly?

Thanks!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.