Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am building a Rip 9 and wondering if anyone is using 180mm cranks. I have purchased a 175mm XT but realized I have the option. The frame is a large and I plan on using a 120 mm Manitou Minute. I am into longer xc rides and live in the Northwest.

·
Expert Crasher
6,358 Posts
What is more comfortable for you? I run 180s but I'm 6'3" and a 35.25" inseam. I'm very comfortable on 180s, then again, I never had any issues with 175s either. I've got 180s on both bikes now and see no reason to change.

·
never ender
1,314 Posts
I've always run 180s on geared bikes...thinking about going 185 for my SS. I'm 6'4" with pretty long legs, and 180s seem to offer the best compromise between ground clearance and better stance/leverage.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
I would suggest sticking with 175s. I ride a large RIP9 with 175s and get occasional pedal strikes when pedaling through technical terrain due to shock compression.

·
Expert Crasher
6,358 Posts
Vecsus said:
I would suggest sticking with 175s. I ride a large RIP9 with 175s and get occasional pedal strikes when pedaling through technical terrain due to shock compression.
I hear that a lot but don't really believe it applies across the board. I haven't compared BB height to my Sultan but 5mm is roughly 10% of your shock travel (7.5"x2.0" on the RIP???), which is roughly 1/2 inch of rear wheel travel. If your deep in the travel on technical terrain - you'd probably hit 170s too. Just my thoughts anyway....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.