Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Two months ago, I finally finished buying all the components of my first bike build. I've been riding for a majority of my short 22 years on this planet, and had always enjoyed tearing down, fixing, and reassembling my bikes, but since I joined the Marine Corps, I've had a little cash to put into something new. Something ME. So after buying parts for 9 months, this is how it all turned out.

RIP 9 XL (I'm 6' 4" 220 lbs)
Fox 120mm Talas 29 FIT RLC
Stan's ZTR Flow Rims on gold I9 Enduro Hubs
WTB Stout 2.3 tires (against WTB's will, I'm running them tubeless...)
Avid CODE 5 brakes w/ 203mm Discs
RaceFace Evolve XC Crankset
KMC X9SL-Ti Chain
SRAM PG 990 Cassette
RaceFace DEUS Stem and Handlebar.
SRAM X-7 Shifters and Derailleurs (Switching the Front Der ASAP because of compatibility)
WTB Silverado Team saddle
Easton Havoc Seatpost

·
Banned
7,930 Posts
You'll find that if you shorten that "S" bend cable cover on your rear derailleur cable to something a bit shorter and closer to straight, that the bike will shift with much less pressure on the shifter. A big loopy "S" like that is a lot of resistance to the cable.

Nice build, I'm sure you're going to enjoy it. Time to go shred on that bad boy and get it dirty.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
RandyBoy said:
You'll find that if you shorten that "S" bend cable cover on your rear derailleur cable to something a bit shorter and closer to straight, that the bike will shift with much less pressure on the shifter. A big loopy "S" like that is a lot of resistance to the cable.

Nice build, I'm sure you're going to enjoy it. Time to go shred on that bad boy and get it dirty.
I'm already working on that routing.(The Gore Ride-On cables and housings are pretty effective at keeping it easy, though) Any straighter than it is and my front der is going to clip it in two. It has been a tasty red-clay color on SEVERAL occasions now... =P

·
Big Boy
978 Posts
how you liking that x7 rear der.? There is quite a bit of money to be saved with them and i was wondering how they performed? generally that level stuff isnt as bad as people think. I test rode some slx stuff and am used to xt and i could hardly tell the difference.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
texasnavy05 said:
how you liking that x7 rear der.? There is quite a bit of money to be saved with them and i was wondering how they performed? generally that level stuff isnt as bad as people think. I test rode some slx stuff and am used to xt and i could hardly tell the difference.
I'm really liking the x7. It's smooth and responsive. Not to mention it's pretty sturdy. I also like how the x-7 shifters come with a longer grip than their brothers. I have no complaints with the system. (other than that the front der. Isn't right for the frame, of course)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.