Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if the new 2x10 setups (Sram XX, etc.) will work on the rip?
This question came to mind while reading the threads regarding the "chain suck & stuck" issues with the rip. With a 2x10 setup the outer I believe will be in roughly the same
position as the middle on a 3x9. Given that the 2x10 outer ring will be larger than the mid 3x9, do think it will cause a similar prob?

·
Always Learning
9,607 Posts
scolli said:
Does anyone know if the new 2x10 setups (Sram XX, etc.) will work on the rip?
This question came to mind while reading the threads regarding the "chain suck & stuck" issues with the rip. With a 2x10 setup the outer I believe will be in roughly the same
position as the middle on a 3x9. Given that the 2x10 outer ring will be larger than the mid 3x9, do think it will cause a similar prob?
I would make sure to pick no larger than a 40T for the large ring on a 2 x 10 to make sure clearance issues are okay. In other words, to be safe, go with the 26x39T SRAM XX option.

I'm running a 20/30/40 triple on my RIP on an older Octalink BB with Shimano XT M752 crank with no clearance problems at all. Depending on where the chainline actually sits with the BB, yoke/chainstay clearance, I would personally be a bit leery of the 42T big ring of the SRAM XX.

Maybe somebody else will chime in and say it fits fine, but I could not get the Shimano 44T to work no matter what BB spindle length I used. The 40T is sweet which means the 39T would be fine and dandy.

BB

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input.

I just received an email response from Niner and they said the 2x20 stuff will work, but they only recommend the 26/39 crank setup.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Did niner say that the SRAM XX will definitely work?

I'm building up a Niner RIP 9 too and really want to go 2x10...and not wait around for Shimano.

Thank you!

·
kabouterclan member
499 Posts
Seeing Niner is good friends with Sram...

How about a Sram/Niner 24/36 crank? aluminium, up to 180mm.

Call it the X-9er :)

·
Registered
138 Posts
scolli said:
Thanks for the input.

I just received an email response from Niner and they said the 2x20 stuff will work, but they only recommend the 26/39 crank setup.
What FD did they recommend to use? They are pretty specific about FD clearance on their website.

·
Registered
8 Posts
re- 26 39t xx

Will the 26- 39t xx combined with 11/36 rear be high enough to really hammer fire road flats etc? I want my rip to have a reasonable top end.Thoughts anyone?

·
Carbon & Ti rule
5,410 Posts
Yep it is good on my Rip9

·
Registered
8 Posts
no chain suck?

So Muzz, no chain suck or any other probs and not winding out too much in top gear with 26-39t?:D

·
Carbon & Ti rule
5,410 Posts
skinya said:
So Muzz, no chain suck or any other probs and not winding out too much in top gear with 26-39t?:D
No other problems,

Yes sure some times it feels like you are pedaling your heart out but not that often,But the big thing is the amount of time you spend in the 39 ring making up time.

You seem to just stay in thew 39 ring & make it work & because you don't waste anytime thinking should I be in the middle ring or the outer ring.

Go for it you will love it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
yeah thank you. i'm excited to see how it works out. will report back hopefully sometime next week when the build is complete! :D

·
Registered
138 Posts
skinya said:
Will the 26- 39t xx combined with 11/36 rear be high enough to really hammer fire road flats etc? I want my rip to have a reasonable top end.Thoughts anyone?
@ 80rpms on a 29er w/ 175mm cranks (using Sheldon Brown's calculators):

44/11 = 27.6 mph
39/11 = 24.5 mph

3mph difference, so only if you regularly use 44/13 (23.4 mph) or taller will you even notice.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Heefar, any news? how is the 39/26 XX with 2x10 working... ?
I just had 2 races messed up because of chain suck on my 2010 RIP9 and need to do something about that....

I would prefer 42/28 but someone above mentioned it is not recommended from Niner....

Anyone... How does the XX crankset work with the 9 speed Shimano cassette and 9 speed chain? should be just fine? right?

·
Carbon & Ti rule
5,410 Posts
Ride_2_Fast said:
I just had 2 races messed up because of chain suck on my 2010 RIP9 and need to do something about that....

I would prefer 42/28 but someone above mentioned it is not recommended from Niner....

Anyone... How does the XX crankset work with the 9 speed Shimano cassette and 9 speed chain? should be just fine? right?
Yes it works fine but did you know you can get the 10sp XT RH shifter ,derailier & cassette cheap at CRC.

The Rip9 works well with a 11-36 cassette & 10 speed.

Also the new 10 speed XT cranks are 24,32,42

·
Registered
14 Posts
Ride_2_Fast said:

yeah man, I've been riding my new RIP for a week and it is great. I actually have all XX components and am not using any Shimano. It works fine, no chain suck.

Here is the answer I got from Brian Pierro, Niner's Global Sales Coordinator, "I have tried to get that corrected a number of times on our website. It is a bottom pull, bottom swing front derailleur you need. 34.9 clamp is correct. You will be fine with the Sram 2x10 drivetrain. We do only recommend the 26/39 crank ring combo though."

Let me know if you have any more questions or what you end up doing. I'm always curious to learn what other people are building up.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Thanks, I do not need tripple. I actually cannot wait till the X.0 and X.9 doubles come out and want to buy one of those for less $$ than XX.
+ I have grip shifters and not willing to go back to paddle shifters.... Hope SRAM wakes up here too and comes out with 10sp grip shifter.

But in the meantime will have to deal with the problem somehow... so maybe XX cransket only or see if I can get 40t big ring.
The 22t on my crankset does not get much use on my bike, maybe once this year :)

·
Carbon & Ti rule
5,410 Posts
Ride_2_Fast said:
Thanks, I do not need tripple. I actually cannot wait till the X.0 and X.9 doubles come out and want to buy one of those for less $$ than XX.
+ I have grip shifters and not willing to go back to paddle shifters.... Hope SRAM wakes up here too and comes out with 10sp grip shifter.

But in the meantime will have to deal with the problem somehow... so maybe XX cransket only or see if I can get 40t big ring.
The 22t on my crankset does not get much use on my bike, maybe once this year :)
Going up in granny gear size is good,I am running both my Rip9 & Jet9 as 2x 10
With the Jet9 I'm running it as 30/39 & realy like it.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I have just put on 36 ring and 24. I did not have much time to test it except 1/2 hour on road... feels good and I hope I will be able to stay 90% time in 36.. which mean almost no shifting on crankset... tomorrow have a race.... will put it into real test...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts