Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to buy a longer travel FS 29er. I'm asking because there's a good sale on the 2018 RIP9 and wondering if there's much difference between the models to warrant paying premium prices for the 2019. On paper, head angle is 67 vs 66, travel 150 vs 140..... I'm not in a rush so I'm willing to wait for better prices on the 2019 RIP9 or other models including SB150, Ripmo, Rallon, Hightower LT. Thanks in advance for your input.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Didn't get a chance to try a new RIP this year because Niner didn't show up for dirt fest :(

With that being said I'm still happy with my previous version rip. Same frame as 2018 but no internal housing guides.

·
Registered
2019 Rip 9,. 2017 Surly Krampus
65 Posts
I can only give my opinion on the 2019, but its a really nice bike. The new updated geometry is very nice. I would personally hold out for the new model.
What rear shock are you running in yours? I'm getting ready to order either a 2 or 3 star build. Both come specced with the fox float dpx2 Evol 3 position. I'm 6'4 275 and wondering if I'm going to have to upgrade the shock right off the bat.

·
Registered
2019 Rip 9,. 2017 Surly Krampus
65 Posts
On the niner site it mentions there is some frame protection installed at the factory. Have you added anything else or just gone with what is stock? First carbon frame and first full suspension for me . Coming from a Krampus, steel hardtail, so not sure what all I need to do besides ride the bike like I stole it. I'm thinking a bash guard at a minimum... Doesn't help that the bike doesn't come in until next week so I have a few days to ask a lot of annoying questions.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.