Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
I believe that the 08 Rip 9 ran the rear derailure cable down the down tube and not the top tube. It appears you have an 07 bike. I also think they upgraded the rear triangle but I am not sure that is 100% correct. I have a medium 07 and did not have the shifting problems that others with the large and X-large frames had. Mine is still going strong but the new 09's are supposed to be much stronger.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Technically that is a RIP9 V1.2. Niner started getting quite a few broken Seat Tubes so they gusseted the rear of the ST to re-inforce it and that looks like what you got - these appeared sometime around the end of '07, so could technically be called an '08. After that they reduced the ID of the ST so it now takes a 30.9mm seatpost instead of a 31.6mm, added iBeams into the rockers to help stiffen them and also beefed up the rear triangle tubing thickness for the L & XL sizes.

·
Banned
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cruso414 said:
that you didn't get a Jet 9. ;) I like that red seatclamp, it looks way better than the black one did. Maybe if I can keep my cranks from falling off tomorrow, I can keep up with the RIP.
I pity the fool that doesn't have a RIP:cool:

·
Banned
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
LyNx said:
Technically that is a RIP9 V1.2. Niner started getting quite a few broken Seat Tubes so they gusseted the rear of the ST to re-inforce it and that looks like what you got - these appeared sometime around the end of '07, so could technically be called an '08. After that they reduced the ID of the ST so it now takes a 30.9mm seatpost instead of a 31.6mm, added iBeams into the rockers to help stiffen them and also beefed up the rear triangle tubing thickness for the L & XL sizes.
Thanks LyNx this is some good info. My seat tube is 30.9 and I've got the I-beams in the rockers. The gusset on the seat tube seems to be doing its job.... but it also holds water, the slot in the top is bigger than the distance from the gusset to the seat tube at the bottom. A little trash inside the gusset and it'll hold water, I found out when I loaded it in the truck and turned it sideways-upsidedown and got water poured on me!

This is a med. frame

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Glad I could help, sorry I couldn't see the setails enough in your pic to better tell it @ 1680x1050 that's a small image for me :D Guess I got the sequence of events wrong, thought they had only gone to the smaller ID after trying out the gussets. So you'd have the last version before it was finalized, gusset removed and cable routing changed or is there no gusset on the back of the ST and I'm only seeing things :???: You won't have a problem with the old routing, it was only the L & XLs that really had troubles, but makes no sense to have 2 versions of a bike hey ;)

motobutane said:
Thanks LyNx this is some good info. My seat tube is 30.9 and I've got the I-beams in the rockers. The gusset on the seat tube seems to be doing its job.... but it also holds water, the slot in the top is bigger than the distance from the gusset to the seat tube at the bottom. A little trash inside the gusset and it'll hold water, I found out when I loaded it in the truck and turned it sideways-upsidedown and got water poured on me!

This is a med. frame

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Nothing wrong there, once it has the 30.9mm seatpost ID then you're fine, only a little bit heavier than the "'08" revision not using the gusset. Ride it hard and enjoy a great bike. If you want more info either use the search function to search the Niner forum (if it actually will work) or just go back through it and you'll find a very detailed thread on this topic.
motobutane said:
Here's a closer shot,Whata ya think?
Sadly not a lot recently :( Since I've been back from Colorado this summer it has been very rainy, so trails are super muddy and it takes some time to force myself to start on the road just to get in a ride. I used to put in about 150 miles a week on average, but since Sept I don't think I've logged over 400 miles :madman:

motobutane said:
LyNx do you ever ride? Your always on MTBR.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
:p But was it nearly so lovely as this :p.................................................

Flyer said:
Took the RIP to Devil's Backbone, Bluesky, and Rimrock yesterday. :)

Mine is a 2008 and has the downtube cable routing.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
:D HEhehehe :D was just trying to poke Flyer back for teasing knowing I wouldn't be abble to ride it till at the earliest next summer. Bet it's amazing covered with all that snow. I would dearly love to visit during winter and cruise backbone on a Pugs :D Anyone ride it want to try and duplicate my shots so I can see what it's like?

2melow said:
Nope, it's all white now...we just got 5-6" of new snow. Looks so green in your shots...I forgot it got that green here!

~Brett

·
Banned
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well now that I know my bike is an 08 and have nothing to worry about, Thanks to Brett and LyNx ,I have to say its the best bike I've ever owned. The pro-pedal feature on the fox rp23 is never needed, this bike pedals better with the propedal turned off. I don't pick lines going down hill like I used to this bike seems to just go on its own and my speed downhill has increased.My speed on flatter, rolling trails has increased I think due to bigger wheels and a plush ride.Anyway the Rip9 is the bomb:thumbsup:

·
Ballstein Models
345 Posts
so what is the final version of the 07/08 non hydro-formed rip9? till this thread i thought it was the 30.9 seatube, no gusset, downtube cable routing.

what I thought follows:

v 1.0--31.6, no gusset, top tube cable routing
v 1.1--31.6, gusset, top tube routing
v 1.2--30.9, gusset, top tube routing
v 1.3--30.9, no gusset, i-beam rocker, downtube routing

correct or not? when did the revised rear triangle on the L and XL take place?

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Actually you missed a revision, in between the gusseted 31.6 post and the final, there's a gusseted version, old cable routing, running a 30.9mm post as they found out that they didn't actually need the gusset anymore once they went to the thicker walled tubing. Then they decided to do the iBeam rockers and change the cable routing - Niner can correct me if I have it wrong.

and the
hogprint said:
so what is the final version of the 07/08 non hydro-formed rip9? till this thread i thought it was the 30.9 seatube, no gusset, downtube cable routing.

what I thought follows:

v 1.0--31.6, no gusset, top tube cable routing
v 1.1--31.6, gusset, top tube routing
v 1.2--30.9, no gusset, i-beam rocker, downtube routing

correct or not?

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Forgot to ask......Is it warm there today? :p :D It was a balmy 84F/29C here today with a nice breeze, loads of sunshine, crystal blue sea and white sand :p

Flyer said:
It isn't now but it was dry like that on Saturday, when I rode there...was around 55 or so and I got there on the last good day for a while. :)

Good pictures.
To my recollection it does, but Niner would have to confirm it as I don't feel like digging through this forum to find the info.

hogprint said:
i was not aware of that version. chart edited. does this look correct?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.