Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Here is an excellent resource where people add Colorado pass info as they find out. It's for ATVs and Jeeps so when it says closed, that doesn't necessarily include us but will clue you in that there may be mud/snow/deadfall/avalanche damage. For Stony they say closed as of 6/3. Be sure to add to it after you see.

http://bushducks.com/tripreps/passopen.htm

·
The dude who made it.
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you!

You mean Stony Pass? The mt biking on the CT there is pretty raw.
I appreciate the massive clue "Stony Pass"... Now I find a lot of good info, like 26 miles from Rio Grande Res. to Silverton. Did you ever ride this route over and back in a day?

·
The dude who made it.
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here is an excellent resource where people add Colorado pass info as they find out. It's for ATVs and Jeeps so when it says closed, that doesn't necessarily include us but will clue you in that there may be mud/snow/deadfall/avalanche damage. For Stony they say closed as of 6/3. Be sure to add to it after you see.

http://bushducks.com/tripreps/passopen.htm
Great link! Thank you.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Wilderness

Just after Stony Pass heading to Silverton it enters the Weminuche Wilderness so staying on the Co Trail is not an option. The above book also has alternate routes for MTB's around the wilderness.

·
High Alpine Adventure
1,842 Posts

·
The dude who made it.
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
High Alpine Adventure
1,842 Posts
Before you hit stony pass, I would drop minnie, maggie, or cuba gulch to Silverton. I don't know which one is best, however. Should be a blast.
Nice Blog Post Frank!!! :thumbsup: Good to see other like minded individuals out there!

I think Cuba Gultch will take you back down to Lake City... not sure on Minnie and Maggie! We will probably be going back up to do the Spring Creek Pass to Cuba Gultch later this year and I'll let ya know how that works out.

·
The dude who made it.
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I hope to get over and back in time for dinner, and not to use the lights.

·
The dude who made it.
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nice Blog Post Frank!!! :thumbsup: Good to see other like minded individuals out there!

I think Cuba Gultch will take you back down to Lake City... not sure on Minnie and Maggie! We will probably be going back up to do the Spring Creek Pass to Cuba Gultch later this year and I'll let ya know how that works out.
I'll be there August 14 - 22 (got vacation time extended). Email rs[at]adbirds[COM] if you want a ride partner. - Randall

·
Registered
348 Posts
I heli skied Silverton last winter with Aaron. He said that there wasn't much single track there, but that he hoped to add lift served in the future.

·
bacon! bacon! bacon!
12,422 Posts
I heli skied Silverton last winter with Aaron. He said that there wasn't much single track there, but that he hoped to add lift served in the future.
Hahahaha. They used to DO lift-served at Silverton. IMO that's a non-starter with their remoteness. Very unlikely to happen again...

·
The dude who made it.
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The weekend of the 20th might work with our plans... I'll let you know what we're doing Randall.
I could put you in touch with my brother. Jim is driving up from ABQ and will meet me at Lost Trail campground, Rio Grande res. late on the 14th.

·
Registered
268 Posts

Thanks! I didn't have a map in front of me, so I couldn't remember which gulch(s) went down to Silverton. The other thought we've had is to stay on the CT at Stony Pass- it's only about a mile of Wilderness, and I think it's legit to walk through Wilderness w/ a bike as long as the wheels are off. I bet it's a sweet descent from there.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts