Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Don't forget the bug spray. I was at ringwood tuesday , had 2 flats and 2 busted chains and 59 small fly bites all over my body. I 'll be armed next time. Be warned, they are worst than musquitos

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
stoked said:
had 2 flats and 2 busted chains and 59 small fly bites all over my body.
talk about adding insult to injury, or would that be injury to insult in this case...

guess I'll stick to skyline for today, I was their on tuesday night with wilks and Jose and we didn't have any bug problems. I'll save Ringwood for when I get some OFF

BTW if there are any last minute takers I'll be there (top lot) at 5:30 Red Jeep Blue Cannondale

-paul

·
Registered
215 Posts
stoked said:
Don't forget the bug spray. I was at ringwood tuesday , had 2 flats and 2 busted chains and 59 small fly bites all over my body. I 'll be armed next time. Be warned, they are worst than musquitos
Yeah those little bastards are in full effect this time of year. Got quite a few bites from weds night ride. Best thing to do is just keep moving and try not to stop, unless of course you have a flat or something. Oh, also on the downhills keep your mouth closed. They don't taste any better than they feel. Wonder if they're a good source of energy or electrolytes.....hmmmm?

Any suggestions on effective sprays?

·
Registered
65 Posts
bug sprays

TommyKlein said:
Yeah those little bastards are in full effect this time of year. Got quite a few bites from weds night ride. Best thing to do is just keep moving and try not to stop, unless of course you have a flat or something. Oh, also on the downhills keep your mouth closed. They don't taste any better than they feel. Wonder if they're a good source of energy or electrolytes.....hmmmm?

Any suggestions on effective sprays?
"Off" seems to be pretty popular but it has a high content of DEET, which is highly toxic.
A couple friends of mine highly recomend one of Avon's bug sprays which is DEET free, water and sweet proof, and it lasts for several hours.

·
Registered
65 Posts
RIngwood sunday 8am

Clutch said:
talk about adding insult to injury, or would that be injury to insult in this case...

guess I'll stick to skyline for today, I was their on tuesday night with wilks and Jose and we didn't have any bug problems. I'll save Ringwood for when I get some OFF

BTW if there are any last minute takers I'll be there (top lot) at 5:30 Red Jeep Blue Cannondale

-paul
Hey Paul, a couple friends of mine and myself will be riding in RIngwood this sunday at 8am.
lert me know if you would like to join us.

·
Registered
215 Posts
bug spray

PingaMan said:
Consumers Report did a study a couple of years ago and found that Avon SkinSoft did not work against mosquitos. They rated Off the best.
I have this spray that I use for hiking and it's Ben's deet 40. It keeps everything off of you, but it also makes you light headed and gives you a weird high. Probably not a good idea for mountian biking.

It's not just your arms and legs either. Those bastards circle around your head like crazy, so what are you supposed to do spray your head too? I don't want that toxic crap near my eyes, nose or mouth. My only successful solution so far is to not stop while riding, keep glasses on, and always keep my mouth closed. As soon as you stop they swarm you, especially if you sweat a lot and stink like I do.

Now that I think about it I had a sunscreen with bug repellant in it and it worked great. Used it at an island one time when the bugs were horrific and it really worked. I'll have to see if I can find that stuff again and give that a shot.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Bugs

When riding I wear a light long sleeve shirt so the bug stuff is off the arms. Best bet for the head is spray your helmet prior to riding, in the parking lot. Spray shorts and sox's heavier than on legs direct the scent will carry this should help keep bug stuff off skin. You can also put lotion on legs prior to applying spray, this you have to experiment with. The best stuff on the market contains deets. Avon product is like steak sauce. Hope this helps.

]

·
Registered
119 Posts
ticks!

You guys up north have the same tick, lymes disease problem we have in central jersey? Just picked a couple off of me after a couple laps at Shark River park. After ride/hike tick checks are mandatory around here. Make sure those moles don't crawl.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I have been using anti- itch cream since tuesday. I think the worst is behind me but I am not riding trails this weekend. I am gonna be on the road bike on Sunday.

I don't recommend using chemical bug spray like off on skin directly. I use it on clothing only. Few years ago I had Off on my arms and legs and had a bad crash at Creek (now Diablo park) downhill and lost lotta skin on my forearm 3"x 5" in size. The Off went into flesh and caused a deep burn that took 1 month to heal. The wound would not stop producing yellow liquid for days trying many first aid stuff until I used Golds Bond medicated powder.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.