Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Feeling retro..but Jung
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I have been reading about all these "great" rims and wheels comming out and most of them don't have eyelets. When I was young I was told not to worry over the brank of the rim so much as to worry over whether the rim had eyelets. Is this a thing of the past? ther are any rims out there with eyelets but few of them are talked about or raved over. Eyelets seem like they'd be even more important on a 29er with the longer spokes

I would like everyones opinion but i would really like to hear Mikesees

·
Feeling retro..but Jung
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1. I'm not looking and 2. at somthing like 800 each I'll pass..

·
Registered
71 Posts
Daves Wheels have made me two sets of Stan rims, 355s, and flows. Both sets have no eyelets no problesms yet. I ride them very hard and I go tubeless. Call a wheel builder and ask. I suggest calling Dave. GOD I LOVE MTB

·
Feeling retro..but Jung
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm assuming it's an iprovement in material technology that has made this happen, but even with the inprovement eyelets would make it even better...they can't weigh that much so that cannot be the reason....

This is an acedemic question as my wheels are new have eylets and are hand built..just like I have always had for 18 years...Ohh yea and it's 5:27 am I am at work and it's freezing rain out..which make it a perfect time to ask

I just wonder if I'm missing the boat..

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
Many years ago I built up a set of Bontrager Red and Blue label rims...those old Bontrager (pre Trek) rims were not eyeleted and I rode the crap out of them until I wore the sidewalls out (canti brakes back then).

Non-eyeleted rims are reinforced in the spoke bed to compensate for a lack of eyelets...I know many running Stans rims with no issues so I would not consider it a deterant to buying them.

The real reason to not use them...increased profits ;)

·
Feeling retro..but Jung
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I guess the boat passed me by...shame I didn't get wave good bye to it..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.