Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

For hard(ish) riding, is there a difference strength and durability wise between the above 2 mentioned ways of manufacturing rims ? In other words, is paying more for a pair of welded rims justifiable ? Any input welcome with many thanks !

·
A wheelist
5,991 Posts
I don't know if there's strength & durability issues between the two types of construction as both have been durable enough for me. But I'll take the welded ones as some (all?) of the pinned & sleeved ones I've had in the past have had uneven joints which leads to an annoying 'snick-snick-snick" when the brakes are applied.

Of course this is not an issue when disc brakes are used.

·
Single Speed Junkie
3,116 Posts
Perhaps both are equally viable. I have owned a pair of pinned and sleeved rims and the annoying click click coming from both front and back caused me to replace both. I was only using Disc brakes as well. Company was rather stand up on the entire issue and did offer an optional recall if you could call it such. Have been rolling on the welded version since without any issues.

I would stick with welded if possible.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
darrencw said:
Hi all,

For hard(ish) riding, is there a difference strength and durability wise between the above 2 mentioned ways of manufacturing rims ? In other words, is paying more for a pair of welded rims justifiable ? Any input welcome with many thanks !
A properly made pinned/sleeved rim is plenty strong, as is a well made welded rim. I have seen good and bad examples of each. A pinned rim can be uneven or not properly bonded. A welded rim can be over-ground in the finishing.

Done right (and most "good" rims are), the amount of force needed to ruin a pinned/sleeved rim would also ruin a welded rim, and the former would cost less to replace.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.