Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
rider
2,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My rear rim on my '04 293 seperated in the brake surface area. Pretty lame since I have never used rim brakes. Why Fisher insists on using 28h wheels on the rear of an XL MTN bike is beyond all reason...

I am debating the heavy but bomber choice of the 32h A719 Mavic rim (same as T519&T520) vs the 32h Bonti Mustang disc only niner rim that I'm seeing on the Rigs.

Does any one know what the real weight of the Bonti rim is???

Mavic A719:

Pros: super strong & 24.6mm wide, nice for big tires!
Cons: not OSB and heavy 560g

Mustang:

Pros: OSB, 23.3mm wide, +1.1mm wider than the stock Bonti 28h disc/V-brake rims
Cons: less wide than A719's, unknown weight & durability reputation

All opinions considered!

Thanks,

29erchico

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
Why aren't the DT's on your list?

My new A719 wheelset just got its break-in bomber rock run this morning, and I'm quite happy to say they're stiff and my build held together (they already had ~40 miles on them). BUT...

...my 100g heavier Alex G3000's I used previously also stood up to this same fitness test with nary a complaint, so again I find myself questioning if I should have choosen something lighter. In that respect, the DT's seem to be the popular choice at the moment. I understand a disc-specific version is near.

·
climb
2,293 Posts
I built up the Mavics for my SS wheelset. They run straight now for about 200 hard-ride miles. I wouldn't hesitate recommending them.

·
i like to bicycle
335 Posts
i've got both

i built T520's for my rigid 29er SS over a year ago. i think that model of rim was then replaced by the ones your mentioning. they are still going strong, and they better because they are not light. i used 15ga straight spokes and brass nips.

i built those disk only bontis for my rigid gear-ey 29er about 4 months ago. just got back from a good pounding in fruita. they seem to be holding up well. i used the same spokes and alum nips this time. i'm not sure of the weight but they are lighter then the mavic and they still seem to be durable rims. i'd use them again.

·
rider
2,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Rims & more rims!

The DT TK 7.1 looks pretty cool, but since it is only 25g less than the A719 I think I'd go with the Mavic for the really proven aspect as well as the 1mm wider advantage.

It kind of surprises me that I can't find any real info on the Bonti Mustang disc rims on line.

29erchico

·
Registered
146 Posts
Oh those Mustangs

29erchico said:
The DT TK 7.1 looks pretty cool, but since it is only 25g less than the A719 I think I'd go with the Mavic for the really proven aspect as well as the 1mm wider advantage.

It kind of surprises me that I can't find any real info on the Bonti Mustang disc rims on line.

29erchico
I tried for a while to get the Bontrager Mustang DISC specific rims (Incidentaly are offset for the disc :D ). It seems they only come on Fisher bikes for this season, and were not in production for the masses, they are available as warrenty replacments. Only Mustang rim brake versions are available. Ritchey's treking rim comes in similar specs as the Mustang, but are not disc specific,(but offer a offset version as well as regular). I was told though that the disc specific Bontrager will be available later this season, but other wise you might try Ritchey since they have the same ERD. but I guess you'll have to get new spokes anyway because you have 28 hole hubs.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Check with your fisher dealer.

Hexonxonx said:
I tried for a while to get the Bontrager Mustang DISC specific rims (Incidentaly are offset for the disc :D ). It seems they only come on Fisher bikes for this season, and were not in production for the masses, they are available as warrenty replacments.

I was looking to build up a set of wheels using the Mustang DISC specific rims but got lazy and just got a wheel set from Bontrager. But my point is check with your LBS. Mine was more then happy to order in whatever I wanted.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.