Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm reading up on a couple Surly frames, weighing the pros/cons of each. The Puglsey is intriguing - it would handle any wheel or tire I would ever want to ride - but I'm trying to get my head around the offset frame. Some places I read that you need a specialty offset rim for the Pugsley; in other cases I read that you just take any rim and build them offset. Which is it? In one other case, someone was able to redish their existing wheels to fit (probably not ideal).

The wheelset on my Ogre is a Alfine8 hub (rear) and a SS Hope hub (front) laced to Velocity Blunt rims. My thought is to replace the Ogre with the Pugsley, and my hope is to be able to reuse the hubs and rims and built it as a "KramPug" most of the time. My ultimate goal is to ditch the Ventana FS and the Ogre, replacing with 1 bike. Most of my riding is gravel roads and tame single track these days.

Other contenders are the Surly Krampus and ECR, neither of which would require me to rebuild my wheels, but neither can accommodate fat tires. The ECR and Pugsley appear to be fully compatible with the components on my Ogre (basically a 1-to-1 swap), where the Krampus would require a different headset and my Enabler fork might not be compatible (A-to-C is different).

Most of me feels that I would be happy with a Krampus or ECR, but then there is that A.D.D. side of me that shows up ever 4-5 years wanting to be able to do something different. A Pugsley frame would seem to be able to accommodate any want I might have at any point in a single frame and do it all fairly well (27.5+, 29er, 29+, or fat; geared, IGH, or SS; gravel, singletrack, rough pavement). I have never read about anyone disliking their Pugsley, and everyone seems to really enjoy their fat bikes overall. My Ogre gets more attention than my Ventana, and the Ogre is leaving me wanting more/something else...1st world problems.

If anyone can offer some advice on the wheel build/rim question, I would appreciate it!

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
If you can afford the new Pugsley 2.0 then it`s a great frame set, rides very comfortable and like the older generation Pugsleys can be built with any available wheel option up to 4.4" tyres on any width rim, (5" tyres fit on narrower 50mm rims),
You will need a 135mm rear disc spaced (RDS) hub for the front wether your Pugsley has a symmetrical or offset fork.
Rims are best the dual drilled options for a strong offset built wheel, the build concept is just the same as a symetrical build, just the rim is offset, built loads over the years now and i hve found the Surly rims seem to last and can be easily set up tubeless if required with the split tube method.
I run 4 Pugsley frames, all are different builds and hub/wheel sizes, fantastic bikes, fairly cheap secondhand and there will always be a wide choice of build parts available wether cheap or bling items :thumbsup: :)

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
For rims, I agree with coastkid that the dual drilled rims are the ideal choice, but can be harder to find. Most of the 29" rabbit holes have been closed out, but they are still available.

WTB ASYM rims are a good option, a touch narrower, but still good for 2.5"+ tires.
for 26" + 27.5", the Surly rims are still great options. My Other Brother Darryl, Marge Lite.
Also check out Lithic Rhyolite rims. They are dual drilled, tubeless ready, and fairly light. I have a pair of the 26" ones on my pugsley and have been extremely happy with them.

·
turtles make me hot
11,663 Posts
The Lithics are excellent rims. They'd be perfect for fat wheels on a Pugs.
It seems strange to me that Surly revamped the Pugs and discontinues the Rabbit Hole. They have to know people make Krampugs.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I think what I'm gathering is that if I'm going to tear down the wheels from my Ogre and build 29+ offset wheels for a Pugs, the Velocity Blunt 35 should not be reused?

I'm poking around and not finding many wide (35-50mm), 29", dual drilled rims. Are there any brands/models that come to mind? I'm not seeing many Rabbit Hole rims listed anywhere, or on eBay; maybe a few in the Canvas Green color (black Pugs with canvas green rims may not look terrible). I was hoping for black rims. There are some built wheels but not sure I want to pay $500+ just to scavenge the hoops.

I agree that the Lithics look nice, but only offered in 26".

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
The Lithics come in a 27.5 x 70mm version, it would be a great option for running 650B-FAT tires like the Bontrager Hodags.

Dual drilled rims are the easiest, but since Surly has discontinued the Rabbit Holes, it is harder. Look for rims that are drilled Asymmetric, like the WTB ASYM series. I haven't done one myself yet, but I believe that mikesee has built at least a few ASYM i35 rear wheels for pugsleys without an issue.

For an asymmetric rim, look for something that has at least 3mm of offset for the spoke hole, that seems to be about the minimum to get a well built wheel. Something in the 4-7mm offset range is even better, but a bit harder to find. Stan's newest Carbon Baron rims have a 5mm offset and look to be really good, but at $600/rim are on the hefty side.

I have some older Bontrager Race X Lite rims and I want to build them offset for my Pugsley, they are 2.5mm offset, but the only thing holding me back is they are 28 hole rims and none of my quality hubs are 28 hole, otherwise I would try that.

·
turtles make me hot
11,663 Posts
I had a customer looking for Krampug wheels and we were having no luck finding black ones.
I tried running Raceface Arc offsets through Freespoke and the tensions actually looked acceptable. We ended up finding some good used black Rabbit Holes. I have one pair left if anyone needs em.

·
Registered
682 Posts
I have a 29 Rabbit Hole/“Krampug” wheelset I would sell. Haven’t used them in a bit. They’re silver though. Great shape. Front hub is surly and rear is DT 350. Solid wheelset. $400+ shipping to you.

·
This place needs an enema
16,916 Posts
So I think what I'm gathering is that if I'm going to tear down the wheels from my Ogre and build 29+ offset wheels for a Pugs, the Velocity Blunt 35 should not be reused?
Correct.

I'm poking around and not finding many wide (35-50mm), 29", dual drilled rims. Are there any brands/models that come to mind? I'm not seeing many Rabbit Hole rims listed anywhere, or on eBay; maybe a few in the Canvas Green color (black Pugs with canvas green rims may not look terrible). I was hoping for black rims. There are some built wheels but not sure I want to pay $500+ just to scavenge the hoops.
If you're going to run 2.6" or 2.8" rims, I'd lean toward the WTB Asym i35's. If you know you're going to run 29 x 3.0", I'd find a set of Rabbit Holes. I have one set left, they are silver.

Is the fork you're considering offset too?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.