Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I need a new set of wheels for my Blur. I weigh 230 approx. I ride mildly aggressive XC. No drops or jumps but I am not the most skilled rider in the world and tend to slam into roots etc. (why buy full suss if you are going to avoid bumps!)

I have just bought a pair of Crossmax Enduros which I am using on my Stupmjumper hardtail. I don't know if I would feel comfortable using them on the Blur. I am thinking of XM 819 disc rims. Any views? Anyone using them and what type of performance have you had from them?

·
Registered
28 Posts
I just got a pair of Azonic Outlaws. More of a DH/FR wheel, but hey, when you weigh 265 ya gotta get what works. I will let you know how they stand up to raw man-beast.

·
Registered
372 Posts
azonic outlaws rock. i have beat the crap out of mine with rocks and casted jumps and i havent taken them in to get trued yet! i am amazed at how then have held up for the 8 months that i have had them. for the price you cant really go wrong. there only 250 bucks!

·
Registered
526 Posts
you can get a shimano XT/ Sun Rhynolite XL wheelset machine built for around $140 now. closer to $200 for a hand build. my set is in the mail on its way so i cant speak from experience, but that combo came up an awful lot in my researching

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
If you're not concerned with hub bling/weight, the XT/Ryno combo is guaranteed to work. Syncros is making nice clyde rims and I've had good luck with standard Mavic rims (F519 and 219 - not sure what the current iteration is).

I'd run away from the Crossmax in general because they're proprietary, which sucks. If you already own them, keep them but I wouldn't buy them new.

Note - you can typically get away with a lighter wheelset on a FS than a HT - everything else being equal (terrain, speed, jumps, etc.) - since the suspension takes a lot of the force that would otherwise be getting transferred vertically into your rim. Landing sideways is landing sideways and has its own obvious consequences.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Enduros

I have a pair of crossmax enduros I got as part of a deal on a hardtail a month ago. I really like them, soooo light they make climbing noticeably easier. However, I am aware that the weight saving comes at a price.

I don't really do jumps or drops but I am clumsy at times and just slam into big tree roots and rocks! I was wondering if any other clydes were using the enduros and how you were getting on with them?

·
Klydesdale
305 Posts
starsky said:
Hi, I need a new set of wheels for my Blur. I weigh 230 approx. I ride mildly aggressive XC. No drops or jumps but I am not the most skilled rider in the world and tend to slam into roots etc. (why buy full suss if you are going to avoid bumps!)

I have just bought a pair of Crossmax Enduros which I am using on my Stupmjumper hardtail. I don't know if I would feel comfortable using them on the Blur. I am thinking of XM 819 disc rims. Any views? Anyone using them and what type of performance have you had from them?
I'm 6'5" and 250 lbs and have been riding a set of wheels with XM819 disc rims since last April. I built them up myself using a Hope Bulb rear hub, a Hope XC front hub and 14/15 DB spokes. The wheels built up quite nicely and they're still running true even though I've bounced off rocks a few times now hard enough to pinch-flat the Hutchinson Python 2.0 UST MRC High (silver stripe) tires I've been running.

The XM819 compare quite favorably with the other Clyde-worthy rims I was using prior to making the switch to UST: Mavic F519s and Bontrager Clydes.

·
Registered
100 Posts
i have to agree on the azonic outlaws. ive had them about 2 months, bought them after i destroyed a deore/xm317 (tacoed). very tough. i havent trail riden them yet due to sloppy conditions and the fact that its been downright cold, but i have used them for urban assault. im just shy of 300lbs and ive thrown a beating on them, up stairs, down stairs, so far my biggest drop is 3ft to flat. not even a bit out of true and im not the smoothest rider (im working on it though). 36 spokes makes a big difference.
also you have the benefit of being able to convert the front to a 20mm thru axle and the rear to a 12mm thru. i went to 20mm on the front and the rim feels really stiff.

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,006 Posts
a lot of the local riders are riding the Outlaws and we do stuff like this all the time....everybody weighs from 185 to 205

·
Registered
43 Posts
I am about 230 pounds and do similar riding to you, aggressive cross country and run a 32 hole F219 (new model number is XM321) on the front, and a 36 hole EX729 on the back on a hardtail. The front serves its purpose fairly well, a bit lighter than the rear rim which is nice I guess. Being a hardtail I like having a stronger rim on the back as the load on the front is lessened by the forks.
Both these rims have not been damaged by me jumping etc, and I am not the best jumper!

whatever you do make sure you lace them up to some nice strong hubs and get them built by a good builder, as thats the main difference between a good strong wheel and an average wheel.

·
NormalNorm
935 Posts
Mavic 819's

Mavic 819's are bombproof. I weigh 230lbs, and I also am not the smoothest(think sherman tank). My mavics have not gone out of true. I would highly recommend them. Every other rim i've tried, I end up egging or warping.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What I went for

In the end I have opted for DT Swiss EX 5.1d's on King ISO hubs. They are still being built but I will post an update when I have a few miles done on them.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts