Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI

I would like to build up some 29er wheels, what are some good rims, Mavis, Salsa, sun?

thank you

·
Fat boy Mod
2,381 Posts
depends on what you ride, how big you are, what your priorities are... bomb proof for a fat guy?... light weight weight wennie?... lots of options...

·
Registered
522 Posts
moabiker11 said:
unless your over 200 go with a stans no tubes 355 or a arch
Curious, why do you say "unless over 200"? I'm also looking to build some wheels and was thinking of going with Stans Flow. I'm a clyde, 270 lbs.
Is there a better rim for bigger guys?

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
kris holms.... just get over the mental disconnect that you can get away with paying under 40$ for a rim when the next toughest one costs 3 times as much. :D

·
Front Range Cyclist
944 Posts
moabiker11 said:
unless your over 200 go with a stans no tubes 355 or a arch
Interesting because that's probably the last rim (355) you'd use for a bigger guy. Arch maybe. But both are universal accepted as being sort of a "soft" rim which IMHO is not idea for us bigger boys. :)

I'm 229 (down from 246 this summer) and have ridden Mavic CXP 30 road rims with no issue and last had Salsa's Race Disc rims which to me are just about the perfect mix of strength/weight/price that you can get (no surprise, the Salsa boys have been into 29ers before they even offered one). Colorado Cyclist has a killer deal (no don't work for them) on Salsa Race Disc/WTB Hubs that's tough to beat and they do wheels very well for being mailorder and would put them up against most shops "wheelbuilers".

I currently ride EDGE 25mm carbon hoops, 28h 2x Aerolites. Still True as can be but I'll admit the price will be tough for anyone with a significant other to understand.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Flow's are the shizznit! Relatively light and bomb proof. I love mine.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I just had a set built by my LBS. I wanted durability and mid range pricing. WTB rims and DTSwiss 370 hubs. We're keeping costs down and hope to be building a near bomb proof set of rims. I'll check back in after I get the replacement frame. Hey if weight isn't an issue you've got plenty of options.

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
juansevo said:
Interesting because that's probably the last rim (355) you'd use for a bigger guy. Arch maybe. But both are universal accepted as being sort of a "soft" rim which IMHO is not idea for us bigger boys. :)
I think you read that the exact opposite of what he said

·
SSolo, on your left!
2,577 Posts
Stans no tubes Arch or Flow, how do these compare in durability and weight to WTB Dual Duty 29er wheels?

·
Registered
19 Posts
The Stans Flow Would Be A Be A Great Idea For Larger Riders They Are 115 Grams Hevier/ Rim Than A 355 And Still A Fair Amount Hevier Than The Arch

A Good Rule Of Thumb To Follow...
If You Are Over 200 Lbs And You Ride Hard Stay Off The 355 Its Just To Light
An Arch Would Be Better...
If You Are Not To Concerned About Weight Than I Think A Flow Would Be The Best Option They Are Bomb Proof And Not All That Heavy 525 A Rim

Salsa Makes Great Rims That Are Bomb Proof But Not Quite As Light As Stans,
If You Are A Larger Rider Than These Are Great Rims As Well
Im Partial To The Stans Because You Can Run Tubeless On Them Mush Easier Than The Salsas

As For Comparing Stans/wtbs I Dont Have Any Experience With The Wtbs That Would Be Interesting To Find Out

For The Dude Who Is 270
If You Ride Hard Your Going To Want To Go With A Heavy Duty Wheel
Assuming You Want It To Last For At Leat A Few Years
If You Dont Want To Spend A Tone Of $$
A Good Set Up May Be A Salsa Gordo Which Is 625 Grams And Go With A 36 Hole In The Back And Mabe Even In The Front
As For Hubs Dt 240s Are Never A Bad Choice Or Mabe A King
Just Nothing Ultra Light
No American Classics

·
SSolo, on your left!
2,577 Posts
Moabiker11,

Thanks for the info! How bout tubeless? One shop wants to build me a wheelset and is pushing tubeless and Arch 29 (24mm wide)....or thier second choice seems to be Flow for them (28mm wide). Tubleless Arch 29 wheels, WB hubs (cartridge bearings), Geax Saguaro 29x2.35" and Stan's sealant....w)w what a lightweight combo...can't believe it....seems like I could really kick but on the climbs....but don't really know how that setup would be. No more pinchflats? Drawbacks?

·
Registered
19 Posts
DEPENDS ON YOUR WIEGHT
MIND THAT 29ER TUBELESS STILL DOES NOT WORK AS WELL AS 26ERS
THIS IS DUE TO THE FLEX IN THE SIDEWALL OF A TIRE THAT IS SIGNIFICANTLY LARGER
IF YOU DO WANT TO DO TUBELESS GO WITH THE STANS FOR SURE
AS FOR HUBS IF YOU WANT TO GET A NICE SET FOR CHEAP
GO WITH WHITE INDUSTRIES
IF YOU WANT TO THROUGH DOWN SOME MORE CASH BUILD UP A WHEEL WITH SOME KINGS AND SAPIME CX RAY SPOKES.... SO FLY
AND IF YOU REALLY WANT SOME KANDY HAVE THE BOYS AT INDUSTRY NINE BUILD YOU ONE OF THEIR AMAZING WHEELSETS WHICH CAN HAVE WHATEVER RIM YOU WANT.
http://www.industrynine.net/official/twentyniner.html
IF YOU GO WITH A STANS RIM YOU WILL PAY BETWEEN 9-12 HUNDO

·
mtbr Buckeye...in Austin
809 Posts
Stans Flow is the way to go!! :thumbsup:

I went 36 hole flows on my new steed.
wheels that big, me even bigger (6'6", 265) screw weight (drop it off the engine, now the rims), get something strong that will keep you safe and riding longer.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
I've used some mavic A719 rims that were pretty decent. I just built up a set of WTB dual duty FR rims for abuse. Although honestly they aren't that much wider or heavier. I thought the change would be more noticeable.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts