Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The sidewalls of my rim split yesterday while I was braking downhill..

Anyway, I thought of buying a new wheelset since my front rim is kind of worn out too.
But the market nowadays are 8/9 speed hubs, mine's still 7 speed.

I was wondering whether is it wise to just change my rim and use my current old spokes and hubs?

Else besides changing the wheelset, I have to change my whole drivetrain too..

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
If you get the same rim, you might be able to reuse the spokes, otherwise you may need new spokes also due to length differences; new nipples might be needed too depending on condition. Might be a good time to learn how to build your own wheel to keep expenses down and learn a very useful skill (it's not as hard as you might think). What type of 7-speed cogset is it; freewheel or freehub style? It's also possible to use a newer 8/9 speed freehub with a 7 speed freehub style cassette with the use of a 4.5 mm spacer so you wouldn't have to upgrade the rest of the drivetrain.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I'm using a 7 speed SunRace 11T-28T (They wrote B5 on every cogs.. What's that?)

I thought of getting a second hand Mavix 721 fitted with Shimano XT hub (32 spokes).. Are they compatible?

My previous rim is a decade old, Teny Rim 36 spokes, freehub.

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
Theodore, you didn't answer the question about type of 7 speed cogset you're using (although I'd assume it's a freehub type at 10 years old, it's hard to know without specifics from you). Try reading this http://www.sheldonbrown.com/speeds.html. I couldn't tell you why SunRace marked the cogs with B5. As to the spokes being fatigued it's possible, but would depend on the use seen, not simply age.

·
Vaginatarian
5,686 Posts
Bikinfoolferlife said:
Theodore, you didn't answer the question about type of 7 speed cogset you're using (although I'd assume it's a freehub type at 10 years old, it's hard to know without specifics from you). Try reading this http://www.sheldonbrown.com/speeds.html. I couldn't tell you why SunRace marked the cogs with B5. As to the spokes being fatigued it's possible, but would depend on the use seen, not simply age.
good point , but if hes worn through the sides I think they are well used, plus spokes are cheap

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Haha, I considered carefully and decided to change the whole rim instead. Besides, like you've said, the sidewalls are worn out badly...

I bought a Xero XCM-3. The guy told me he added some metal stuff so my 7 speed can fit inside the 8/9 speed hub. Not sure whether US got this kind of rims or not, coz I'm not from there =P

By the way, my old hub is a freehub. I still don't get it what you meant by what Type of 7 speed. Nice website you gave me.

Thanks ..

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
The type of 7 speed cogset, a freehub style or freewheel style, was explained in the link, here's the specific part of that article http://www.sheldonbrown.com/freewheels.html. Your mechanic put a spacer behind your freehub style 7speed cassette so the spacing on an 8/9 speed freehub will work (a 7 speed freewheel style cassette would not work on a freehub).

Dano--a single worn rim doesn't tell me that the wheel was all that fatigued (unless this was the last of several rim replacements using original spokes or something). Never hurts to play it safe with new spokes, either, just didn't know how much $ mattered.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.