Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 176 Posts

·
Registered
8,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The tire insert business is exploding these days, and I found this, a UK company. Light, cheap, hopefully strong enough for my purpose.

https://www.rimpactmtb.com

£80 for 2 pair with valves shipped to Canada, and they mailed them the next day with a tracking number.

I don't need Cushcore's level of protection, just enough to drop a couple of PSI for slippery winter conditions and protect against the odd square edged rock. 90gm for a 29 insert is certainly light, so it won't have a high level of protection. I'll post an update in a few months.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Thanks for sharing. I’m interested in the weight alone! My cushcore defeats the purpose of having a lighter carbon rim. Also I have not been a fan of lower tire pressures.

I look forward to your initial reaction as if they are positive then the cushcore is going on the DH bike and I’ll be looking at this for my trail bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They arrived today and they are light. It compresses more than Cushcore, which is the only other insert I've seen. Hope to get them installed soon.

Sent from my SM-G935S using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
They arrived today and they are light. It compresses more than Cushcore, which is the only other insert I've seen. Hope to get them installed soon.

Sent from my SM-G935S using Tapatalk
If you dunk that in water does it soak it up like a sponge or does it do a good job staying separate?

·
Registered
8,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I soaked part of one in water and pinched it hard. Rimpact did not absorb any water.

·
Registered
8,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I installed Rimpact in tires that were already mounted. It was as easy as installing a tube. Hopefully they aren’t too soft to do any good.

·
Rocks belong
5,416 Posts
Hopefully they aren't too soft to do any good.
From the pictures you posted, that's what I'm wondering about.

I really like CushCore, except for remote, backcountry rides. If you cut a tire, you can't tube with CC? At least Huck Norris could be folded up and stuffed in a pack, but CushCore would have to be removed and worn like a bandolier?

·
Registered
353 Posts
They feel a lot more substantial then HH atleast. I think the shape also makes them better. It disperses the force of a hit much better.

So far I'm happy with mine. Havent had any big hits yet but the wheels/tires feel better then before, more damped and doesnt ping of rocks as much.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
They feel a lot more substantial then HH atleast. I think the shape also makes them better. It disperses the force of a hit much better.

So far I'm happy with mine. Havent had any big hits yet but the wheels/tires feel better then before, more damped and doesnt ping of rocks as much.
Do you feel any additional sidewalk support with them?

·
Registered
353 Posts
Do you feel any additional sidewalk support with them?

Not sure. Running Schwalbe Evo, and they are a little weak. Before with HH I had higher pressure and still managed to get pinchflats. So far none with lower pressure and I don't feel any squirm.
But I am riding a little careful due to injury.

·
Registered
8,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hard to say on sidewall support, only 1 ride, and I dropped my pressure 3psi to get more root traction. This is what interested me about inserts to begin with. 1/2 the year I contend with wet, slippery roots, and low pressure works well. However, there are also fast, rocky sections, so my rims need protection. I hope to get some quality rides over the next month, fingers crossed, and then have a look at the Rimpact.

·
Registered
867 Posts
these sound interesting, i'll look forward to your spring report. i've decided to go another route for both traction, flat protection and rim protection. i'm manning up and getting heavy rear tires. have a new Spesh Eliminator black diamond casing on the Patrol. heavy AF for sure, nearly dh weight but i'm running it at 22 psi and it's firm, stable and the traction is incredible. after a year of more rear flats than ever before i'm looking for a better solution. the tire is also a damper and more controlled ride (so far) but i haven't had the high speed rides on hard trails yet to say more.

1 - 20 of 176 Posts