Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im interested in wide rims and what sort of advantage they offer over conventional rims. by wide i mean the salsa disc rim. thats pretty wide and its been touted as providing a larger contact patch and thus greater traction as more tread is in contact with the trail. im also envisioning a tire that has less of a tendancy to sqirm at lowish pressures mounted on a wide rim like this.
are these things all in my head? am I over thinking this or do you folks whove run em noticed a dif?

thanks for any opinions.

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
No, it's true. Wider rims yield a better footprint and allow you to run lower PSI with less squirm and pinch flats.

I run the Holm's rims now. The biggest in the biz, but husky, like me.

·
Super Moderator
48,237 Posts
It partly depends on the tire and your riding style. I happen to prefer a narrower rim for most tires and the type of riding I do and my riding style.

The size of the contact patch is dependent more on air pressure than rim width. The rim width can change the shape of the contact patch.

A narrow rim tends to give a tire a rounder profile. I find they track better and I prefer the cornering feel.

A wider rim gives a more square profile and can support the sidewalls better. For me the tire can feel edgy when leaned.

If you do a lot of jumping or drops and/or are a heavier rider you will probably do better with wider rims.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
175 spandex clad xc race dork.
I veer irradically away from things that might elevate my wheels off the ground.
I DO lean turns quite well.
I DO navigate nasty rock gardens in northern jersey.
I ride a dos niner.

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Based on your self-description I think any of the "standard" width rims should work - Delgado, Delgado Disc, TK7.1, etc. etc. The Ryno is a decent rim but may be too much for your needs.

This is definitely too much (but I love them) - a Holm's with Ignitor. He's not fat, he's my brutha.

rryyddeerr said:
175 spandex clad xc race dork.
I veer irradically away from things that might elevate my wheels off the ground.
I DO lean turns quite well.
I DO navigate nasty rock gardens in northern jersey.
I ride a dos niner.

Attachments

·
This place needs an enema
15,597 Posts
rryyddeerr said:
im interested in wide rims and what sort of advantage they offer over conventional rims. by wide i mean the salsa disc rim. thats pretty wide and its been touted as providing a larger contact patch and thus greater traction as more tread is in contact with the trail. im also envisioning a tire that has less of a tendancy to sqirm at lowish pressures mounted on a wide rim like this.
are these things all in my head? am I over thinking this or do you folks whove run em noticed a dif?

thanks for any opinions.
The differences that you listed ARE there, but they're not as big as you'd suspect. Keep in mind that more contact patch on the ground equals more traction, but it also equals more rolling resistance.

MC

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks Mike. ive decided to forego the "wide" options and have ordered a very safe pair of Bonti Mustang OSB Disc rims.
Should save about 100g or so per rim over the td17 pair I have now. worst pinch flats of my life. right through tread.
ryder

1 - 8 of 8 Posts