Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Baby Bear is in the house
2,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rim manufacturers often quote either the outer or inner widths of their rims.

Which of these 2 widths is more relevant when it comes to mounting wider[>2.1"] tires [less folding over, etc.]?

·
Baby Bear is in the house
2,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My point is, some manufacturers quote either the inside or outside width only, not both. And there can be quite a difference between the two, as shown by the Sycros DP25, which, as mentioned in another post, has an inner width of only ~18mm[!]. It's kinda misleading :(

I'm thinking even if you have a pretty decent outer width, if the inner width is kinda narrow, tire fold-over will still be an issue.

shiggy said:
Both. As the inside width increases so does the outside.

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
So basically you need to find out what the inner width is for the rims you're interested in...those sneaky bastid manufacturers with tweaked specs...I too wish they would be more consistent or provide both measurements.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
rigel said:
My point is, some manufacturers quote either the inside or outside width only, not both. And there can be quite a difference between the two, as shown by the Sycros DP25, which, as mentioned in another post, has an inner width of only ~18mm[!]. It's kinda misleading :( ...
Not really. That is normal The Alex TD17 has an outside width of 24 mm and 17 mm inside. The old Mavic M 261 is 25.8 outside and 19.8 inside.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.