Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I attempted some searches but I'm not convinced I'm using the correct terms. I'm sure this has been discussed so forgive me...

I just ordered up a Surly Ogre frameset so the next order of business will be building a wheelset. My hope was to run something a bit wider like Velocity Blunts to increase the contact patch of the tire. On their website, Surly states that tire clearance is 2.5" but certain tire/rim combinations will vary.

That brought me to a forum or blog post (can't find it now) that mentioned that a 2.2" tire is closer to 2.4" in width on a Blunt. Is it reasonable/safe to assume that 0.2" should be added to the width of any tires I consider mounting to those rims? I'm not looking for an exact answer but want to try to eliminate as much of the trial and error game as I can.

Thank you!

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
I attempted some searches but I'm not convinced I'm using the correct terms. I'm sure this has been discussed so forgive me...

I just ordered up a Surly Ogre frameset so the next order of business will be building a wheelset. My hope was to run something a bit wider like Velocity Blunts to increase the contact patch of the tire. On their website, Surly states that tire clearance is 2.5" but certain tire/rim combinations will vary.

That brought me to a forum or blog post (can't find it now) that mentioned that a 2.2" tire is closer to 2.4" in width on a Blunt. Is it reasonable/safe to assume that 0.2" should be added to the width of any tires I consider mounting to those rims? I'm not looking for an exact answer but want to try to eliminate as much of the trial and error game as I can.

Thank you!
There is no simple answer. Every model tire is different, no matter what it says on the sidewall.
Mtbtires.com

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.