Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Freezer
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Yeti SB4.5 that currently has 23 inner rims, and I'm thinking about wider rims. I'd ideally like to run a DHF 2.5 front, and an Ardent Race 2.35 or Aggressor 2.3 on the rear, depending on where I'm riding (the rear triangle can't take anything bigger).

I'm considering rim widths from 29i up to 35i, and it seems that the ideal setup would be 35i up front to maximize the DHF 2.5, and 29i or 30i for a 2.3 or 2.35 tire on the rear. Any reason I shouldn't go this route, and just get matched rims front and rear, like a 29i/29i or 30i/30i?

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
No need to get matched widths. Many do what you are thinking.

30-35 is good for Maxxis 2.5

29 is too wide for some people for Maxxis 2.3's Aggressor (and DHF/DHR), they complain that the tyre is too 'squared off', and thus is unpredictable.

Lots of info here:
site:forums.mtbr.com aggressor rim width
site:forums.mtbr.com dhf 2.5 rim width
site:forums.mtbr.com 2.35 ardent race rim width

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Most definitely optimise your rim width to suit the tyre sizes you plan to run and/or terrain you ride. For me it was more of a terrain issue that pushed me to run i25 r/i29 f, as when I initially built the wheels they were i29 F&R running Maxxis 2.3" tyres F&R, but found I was managing to put small punctures into the sidewall right down by the bead in the rear because it was too exposed on that wide a rim, did it to 3 different tyres. So I switched back to an i25 in the rear and haven't had that problem since.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.