Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I have a 02 Jamis durango SX. I've only had it for about a month, but I'm noticing a bit of wobble on the front tire or wheel/rim. I took it to the shop to have it looked at and they didn't find any problem with the rims and the wheels were perfectly true. They say it's the tires that are causing the wobble. The tires on it are Hutchinson Mosquitoes. Basically, my bike is stock right now. I was wondering if anyone noticed this on their bikes as well since I think some of the other Jamis bikes have the same wheel set when you buy it stock...the specs seem to say that on the website too. (Rims are Alex XT-3000)

·
Heads up Flyboy!!
3,165 Posts
Oysterboy said:
Hi guys,

I have a 02 Jamis durango SX. I've only had it for about a month, but I'm noticing a bit of wobble on the front tire or wheel/rim. I took it to the shop to have it looked at and they didn't find any problem with the rims and the wheels were perfectly true. They say it's the tires that are causing the wobble. The tires on it are Hutchinson Mosquitoes. Basically, my bike is stock right now. I was wondering if anyone noticed this on their bikes as well since I think some of the other Jamis bikes have the same wheel set when you buy it stock...the specs seem to say that on the website too. (Rims are Alex XT-3000)
Did you have the tires mounted to the rim when you took the wheel in? If not, it is possible that you had the bead improperly mounted in the rim. Check all the way around the wheel to make sure you don't have any protusions of extra rubber.

Step Two: Grab the bike at the stem and hold the bike steady. Grab your front wheel with your other hand and try to move it side to side. If you have any play your hub needs to be adjusted. You can also take the wheel off and hold the wheel by the spokes near the hub, then take your thumbs and press in on the axle with skewer removed and if you have any play, your hub needs to be adjusted. Alos make sure the skewer is tight enough that it leaves a impression on your palm when you close it. NO tighter, no looser.

Step three: If you have V-Brakes spin the wheel and eye the distance between the rim and your brake pad. If you have disk brakes, take a zip tie and put it around the fork cutting off enough so that only one or two millimeters are between the zip tie end and the rim. spin the tire, check distances.

Other then that you may have a tire that has a manufactuers defect or a tube with a extra thick "pad" around the valve stem. Try pushing your valve stem up into the rim mount the tire at that point and pull the stem back through.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've done Step three, no problems there. I have V-brakes and the distance doesn't change when I spin the wheel. I'll try the other things though. Do you think I should take it back to the shop and ask them if they can get me new tires? I've only had the bike for a month (I bought it new at the LBS) so they should cover stuff like that, right?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a Jamis Durango Sport 2004....I have noticed a wobble in the back. I don't have the Hutchi's though.It does not seem to "track well" if you get my drift.

Also the websites specs say that the front der should be Deore, mine is Acera. Could they be shipping with the wrong ders?

I hate it what would you suggest?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't know, I always thought it was acera in the front, deore in the back. I don't use the front derail, so I don't really care what the front is. But the deore is nice and it shifts really well! I think the wobbled ended up being the tires (which really suck). I got some new 2.3" Tioga Factory DH tires with DH tubes so my XC ride looks really pimp now. The durango is such a nice starting bike, but I'm growing out of it. Next year, I might go and get a .243 frame and a DJ fork, and just swap all the rest of the components on.
So I guess if you hate the tires, get new ones. I got rid of mine pretty quick. Also, I got an almost new Alex MX22 BMX style wheelset, so that's how I can fit DH tires and DH tubes on my bike. They BARELY fit the durango frame though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts