Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
don't try this at home
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i wrecked last weekend and really tweeked my front wheel. so much so that i had to release the front brake so it would clear the pads and roll.

I figured i could just true it up. well it doesn't seem to want to cooperate. the spokes that would 'pull' it in are already as tight as can be and the spokes that i would generally loosen are very loose and the rim is no where near true.

can my rim be too bent to get true again? do i need to replace it?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Sounds like you pushed it a bit too far. You generally can straighten it, but the wheel will never be very strong (it is sort of like dislocating your shoulder; if you do it once, you have to be careful, because it won't take much to do it again).

To get it straight you might have to stand on it. Put the wheel on the ground (concrete), and put one foot on the point where the wheel is buckled (you can work out which way up to have the wheel). Now put your other foot on the opposite side of the wheel and gently transfer you weight. Doing this carefully may take out most of the buckle, and then straighten it normally. Just don't expect the wheel to stay true for long....

A good, strong, straight wheel will easily be able to support your weight doing this, (not that I recommend it!), while a cheap wheel will "taco."

moschika said:
i wrecked last weekend and really tweeked my front wheel. so much so that i had to release the front brake so it would clear the pads and roll.

I figured i could just true it up. well it doesn't seem to want to cooperate. the spokes that would 'pull' it in are already as tight as can be and the spokes that i would generally loosen are very loose and the rim is no where near true.

can my rim be too bent to get true again? do i need to replace it?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.