Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
SuperInstigator
2,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just went to the shop and picked up a few rolls of fond de jante rim tape. I thought how hard is it to make a sticky, effective rim tape, so I picked up the first stuff I saw. It has adhesive, but it won't stick to my sun rhyno lites at all. Any suggestions?

Tim

·
Photog Cyclist.
401 Posts
Don't know what to tell you Velox is the standard for rim tape---not light but normally very reliable---Try cleaning the inside of the rim with alcohol maybe you got something in the rim that is keeping the strip from sticking--strapping tape is cheap, lite, works well, and you get in by the mile.

·
Registered
7,269 Posts
tibug said:
I just went to the shop and picked up a few rolls of fond de jante rim tape. I thought how hard is it to make a sticky, effective rim tape, so I picked up the first stuff I saw. It has adhesive, but it won't stick to my sun rhyno lites at all. Any suggestions?

Tim
Alternatively, you can use strapping tape instead of rim tape...

·
SuperInstigator
2,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
23mjm said:
Don't know what to tell you Velox is the standard for rim tape---not light but normally very reliable---Try cleaning the inside of the rim with alcohol maybe you got something in the rim that is keeping the strip from sticking--strapping tape is cheap, lite, works well, and you get in by the mile.
Actually I did clean the rim out with alcohol before I put the tape in. If it did anything, it wasn't enough. I am thinking it could somehow be because of the rim material, which doesn't make much sense especially because I have the all-to-common Rhyno Lites, but it is possible. Thanks for the info.

Tim

·
Registered
50 Posts
As of late the quality of the velox rim tape has noticably fallen off. I've had several strips of the tape that barely will stick to the rim. If you can manage to get it to hold well enough to put a tire and tube on and fill it up, you'll be fine and the tape will set into place under pressure. I personally will be using ritchey snap in rim strips from now on, and may even consider velo plugs.:)

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
tibug said:

Tim
Just say NO! to the Velox/Rhyno Lite combo!

It is tough enough to mount tires on RLs with thin rim tape. The thick Velox makes it 10 times harder.

·
Feeding your addiction
2,648 Posts
Y-Wrench said:
As of late the quality of the velox rim tape has noticably fallen off. I've had several strips of the tape that barely will stick to the rim. If you can manage to get it to hold well enough to put a tire and tube on and fill it up, you'll be fine and the tape will set into place under pressure. I personally will be using ritchey snap in rim strips from now on, and may even consider velo plugs.:)
Glad I'm not the only one who thinks that. I used to only use Velox because I could always rely on it. The single-roll stuff seems to still work well most of the time, but the shop rolls suck sometimes, I'll get big sections of it that won't stick to anything at all. Seems like they're skimping on the adhesive. I've switched to Schwalbe and I like it better, it sticks more consistenly and is lighter too.

Larry
Mountain High Cyclery
[email protected]

·
SuperInstigator
2,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks!

Thanks for the help. I guess I won't be buying velox anymore. Maybe I'll try Schwalbe, Ritchey, or just strapping tape.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.