Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I've dabbled in tubeless on my MTB as well as on my road bike. I've used Stan's, WSS, and Orange Seal...

What I have not really figured out is, what is the best tape option? I've used Stan's tape, as well as Gorilla tape.

The Stan's has had some nipple leaks on my 29er, so I need to re-do it.

Gorilla tape seals nicely, but man, what a sticky mess when trying to get a tire off of my son's bike. The goo glued the tire on pretty hard after a year, and I almost had to resort to steel irons to get it off. I don't want that problem on the next install! :madman:

Is there any other option I am not missing? Is one of the commercial options better than the others? Someone mentioned strapping tape on the home-brew thread...

FWIW, I am using American Classic stems.

·
Registered
4,198 Posts
I've never understood the need to save pennies using cheap alternatives. I have only used Stan's tape and have no need to replace it for years. You mention leaks from the nipples. It is important to pull/stretch the tape as tight as you can. Another important step in my opinion, is to first put a tube in the tyre after newly taping and inflating to maximum pressure. Leave it at least over night or longer if you can. This ensures the tape is properly attached. One thing you need to be cautious of is when mounting or removing tyres with levers is not to lever against the tape. It can cause holes or move/unseat the tape.

Reactions: acer66

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Awesome. Bought it. Wasn't trying to be cheap, just good. FWIW, Slime is now sending Gorilla Tape with their tubeless kits. I found it to be a big sticky mess when taking the tire off, though it NEVER leaked.

I think the 29er leaked because I never did the tube press thing. I'll do that next time.

Going tubeless on the road bike is more of a challenge, less people trying it. I have one tire tubeless now, will switch the other soon. I'll use my new HUGE roll of tape and Orange Seal goo. They gave me a couple of bottles at Sea Otter.

·
Registered
7,470 Posts
Another important step in my opinion, is to first put a tube in the tyre after newly taping and inflating to maximum pressure. Leave it at least over night or longer if you can. This ensures the tape is properly attached.
This matters A LOT in the long run!

·
Registered
2,241 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
I use gorilla tape, the trick is to cut it down so that it jut covers the spoke holes not from side to side on the rim. Inflating with a tube is a must, I only do it for a minute or two before I remove it and do the final seat on the tire and add Stan's. I've never had to leave the tube for and extended period of time.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've been using 1" gorilla since I found that it appeared identical with what was being shipped by Enve for my carbon rims (the Enve is slightly wider, but the 1" works fine for me and doesn't require cutting). Holds really well without needing to put a tube in it first - just need to make really sure to pull tight and press it well into the rim notch while applying, then go back and make sure that you press the tape outside the rim notch also (they have a video showing how to do it ;)).

But the adhesive left behind is a massive cleanup project when I replace the tire and the couple of times that I tried it, it wouldn't hold reliably when I unmounted and remounted the tire (maybe if I tried the tube trick). And given the cleanup problem, I'm going to try the poly-packing tape for my next seal! I'm really tired of painfully using a plastic knife to get enough of the old adhesive off to put a new layer on :madman:!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Just built up a set of new wheels with the LB wide carbon 29 rim with Orange Tape(wide) WTB valves with Specialized tires and Orange Seal are holding air better than with gorilla tape I used on the the old wheels. I really like the Orange Tape/Seal combo. The O tape is lighter than the gorilla tape even with two layers I put down just to be safe.

·
Registered
23 Posts
So I got some of this tape and it is a pain in the butt to work with (WTB speedisc clincher rims). Not supple at all - plastic-y and crinkly if not handled with kid gloves.
Finally got a method that seemed ok: mounted one edge all the way around, and then worked in toward the nipple eyelets an inch or two at a time, avoiding bubbles as much as possible. Then finished the final side. Mounted tire and tubes. Left inflated overnight. But still seems plenty bubbly. Had to go back over it all with my thumbnail to really seal off the edges.
I used the entire width of the tape. Should I be trimming it so that it more less only covers the nipples?

·
B.Ike
1,206 Posts
no need to trim (unless it's so wide it gets into the area where the tire bead goes into. I use that same tape w/out problems. Pull hard as you are installing to avoid bubbles.

·
Registered
4,198 Posts
Ahhh, so STRETCH the heck out of it?
Exactly! I still don't see the point of cheap alternatives but there is lots of information available on how to fit tape.

·
B.Ike
1,206 Posts
Exactly! I still don't see the point of cheap alternatives but there is lots of information available on how to fit tape.

12 dollars for 10yards or 5 dollars for 55meters. Equal performance. I can't see the point in buying the more expensive product. Not being snarky, just saying.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Got that strapping tape on best I could. Definitely not bubble-free...
But I aired up and sealed the system this morning. All's well for now. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
6 Posts
scotch film strapping tape 24 mm x55m. I liked it better then the stans. It was a little bit thinner then the stans but barely. It also formed to the inside of the rim better then stans. It also is just as sticky. So who ever uses scotch strapping tape +1.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts