Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys - just wondering if I am supposed to get rim strips and valves with the wheels on a new Superfly 100?

I did not get them (wife bought the bike as a gift) and I had the impression that they came with it - was looking for some info before I go into the shop.

Had the first ride this morning - was pretty impressed - but it definitely would be better with tubeless/lower tire pressure.

Thanks,

Kirk

·
I hate that name.
1,643 Posts
No it does not come with the strips and valves (at least the 2 that we've gotten didn't), and I am also fairly certain that the XR1 tires that come on the bike are not TLR.

·
I hate that name.
1,643 Posts
Yes. The blue plastic strip is just a normal Schwalbe rimstrip that protects the tube from the spoke holes, it may look nice but it is not a tubeless rimstrip. The tubeless rimstrip is black and contoured to fit perfectly in the rim. You would have to remove the blue plastic one to install the TLR strip. FWIW, I don't care for the blue plastic. I've seen them stretch and deform exposing the spoke holes which caused a flat...on my own bike...at Tsali...one mile into the 11 Left Loop... I had to use my only tube, and I knew there was a good chance the thing would cause another flat. I could have fixed it if I'd just had a 4 inch piece of electrical tape. I made it through the loop and was on the FR out when it flatted again. It was 6 months ago and I'm still worked up about it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
It is true...you do not get the tubeless setup on the SF100...I had to ask for it specifically and the XR1 tire was not even an option as the shop said they couldn't even set it up. The TLR Team Issue 3 setup with stans was put it its place. Not the lightest but still nice.

The bike has been fantastic and with some mods it is 23.19lbs (large) with no pedals

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
bcaronongan said:
i'm thinking stan's yellow tape, valves from LBS and raven 2.0 tires when i get my superfly 100.
I'd stick with the Bontrager strips since they are designed for the rim and there isn't much of a "shelf" on the non-driveside (rear) without it.

·
Registered
7,961 Posts
1. The strips and valves don't come with the bike because the stock tires are not TLR, and totally unsuitable for conversion to tubeless. The TLR strips are very cheap, and work very well.

2. As mentioned above, even if you don't convert to tubeless, throw those stock blue rimstrips in the recycling bin. They like to shift sideways, expose the edge of a spoke hole in the rim, then rub through the innertube.

3. Take good care of that wife -- what a killer present!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.