Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Dual Squishy...
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'11 Epic EVO, 26" wheels...

I am a heavier rider, and the stock Rovals are noodly to say the least. I've had a couple of hard washout wrecks and I am thinking its boiling down to two issues, noodly wheels and thinner (that I am used to at least) rims giving me a smaller contact patch. Front spoke count is 24, rear 28, and the spokes are thin.

Got the appropriate conversions for my Flow shod I9s (Off my Enduro). Needless to say the stiffness was significant. Same front tire (2.35 Nobby Nic) and the tire width is at least 1/2" or more wider. Handling improved, etc... Put on a stiffer, older Spinergy wheel freshly rebuilt on the rear, which was a big improvement stiffness wise.

Bottom line, building up a new front wheel for starters. Already have the hub, 32 count Hope Pro-II EVO. Looking for a rim...

3 Choices I have boiled it down to:
1) Stan's ARCH EX, 400g, 21mm inside diameter
2) Pacenti TL28, 390g, 23mm inside diameter
3) Loaded USA, X-lite, 408g, 21mm inside diameter

Trying to maximize the contact patch and still keep the weight reasonable. The Pacenti is the widest but I don't know too much about them. Any experiences? Also, suggestions on spokes? Other rims?

Thanks...~

·
Registered
238 Posts
I have said it in other threads, and I'll say it again here. I am super happy with my Pacenti TL28's. They built up very easy, they are very light, and plenty stiff at the same time, plus I like the added width over the Arch. I have the older Arch's on my other bike, and I do like them as well, but my preference is now with the Pacenti rims. Both rims set up tubeless very easy with just some yellow tape and valves. I don't think you could go wrong with either rim though.

Sorry, no experience with the Loaded rims.

·
Dual Squishy...
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Was leaning in the Pacenti direction already. Ordered a pair this weekend...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts