Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
old skool newbie
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello
I am doing some research for my bro-in-law on the CO National Monument. He'd like to know the condition of the Rim Rock road; more specifically if its skate-able. He's into downhill longboarding and wanted an escape from the family gathering this fall. I can't blame him and said that I'd join him. It may come down to bikes, but if anybody knows what the tarmac is like...

here is a linky and a pic
http://www.rimrockrun.org/race_course.html
http://www.rimrockrun.org/rrr_photo.html

Attachments

·
Registered
511 Posts
Re-surfacing in progress

I just read in the local paper (Grand Junction) last week that sections of the road are going to be repaved between now and September/October. Be prepared for 20 minute delays, etc. The last time I drove it, the pavement seemed OK, but that was three years ago. If they're repaving, it might be in worse condition than I remember. You might call the park headquarters @ 970-858-3617 for up-to-date information.

·
old skool newbie
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
repaving?! that could be a good thing, but as you said it may indicate the road is pretty rough.

Thanks for the phone number. I will try calling them. They don't usually like skateboarders doing downhills on their roads, so I may have to get clever about asking about the road conditions. At least I can use the resurfacing as an excuse.;)

Attachments

·
Registered
138 Posts
I rode it last on July 4th. There are a few expansion cracks that would definitely be scary on a skateboard. These are mainly on the top and east end switchbacks. That pic above is the west end, which would likely be a much better area for lonboard attempts.

Here's an email I recently rec'd regarding the project. The Glade Park area mentioned is at the top of the east end entrance:

While the re-paving of the road through the Colorado National Monument is going on, I will attempt to provide regular, weekly updates as to what you may expect to find.
The road project in the Monument will begin next week (7/10) however, not much is expected to happen for the week other than preliminary work that includes getting the equipment to be used in place. After hours riders should not encounter any serious delays. The plan is to use a re-cycling of the old pavement method. They will tear up a lane of asphalt for perhaps about 1 mile, then tear up the other lane. After that, they will prepare the road base. This will leave for any given time, the possibility that you will encounter a section of road for up to a mile that is only compacted gravel. After the road base is prepared, they will then lay down the re-cycled asphalt. At any given time, there will always be at least one lane of the road open. All motorists and cyclists will be REQUIRED to stop and wait until a "pilot" car that will lead the traffic through. Again, this will primarily occur during the working hours of the day.

The re-paving work will begin on the road that goes up to Glade Park, at the Colorado National Monument Entrance sign. It will proceed down the road to the intersection with the main Monument road above the east entrance, then proceed west. This means that for a 1 - 2 week period, those cyclists who like to ride the Little Park - Glade Park - Monument route will encounter construction. Once that section of road is completed however, this route will be the best way you can avoid construction until the project is completed.

Construction will not occur on the weekends, but you can expect to find some sections of gravel. They will try to leave both lanes of any section of road under construction open for traffic over the weekends.

One other bit of information to pass open: When the entrance stations are open, all motorists and cyclists are required to stop at the station (there is a stop sign there with a flashing light) not only when entering but also EXITING the Monument. Officials have reported some cyclists not stopping. Each station has now been equiped with a video camera to record violators. We have been warned that both motorists and cyclists who are caught will be issued a citation. PLease cooperate with the Park officials. A few cyclists who ignore the rules and just blow through will certainly not help our overall relations with the Park officials.

·
old skool newbie
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the great information. Your email said that they would be laying down re-cycled asphalt. Does that mean they are not paving the road with new tarmac, but just putting down that rough surface?

We won't be heading to that side of the divide until September. So, I will check back in after a month or so to catch the latest conditions, if you all don't mind keeping my request in mind.:)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.