Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have a Ripley v4 on order and will have the opportunity to select a preferred rim. I understand the stock rims are 32mm aluminium, and my interest in in getting rims that will do the most to assist with climbing.......I won't be doing any gnarly decending on this bike, but are keen to get all the help I can getting up hill!!

So keen to hear others advice on the extent I should be focused on rim weight ( while being too heavy myself!!) and rim/type width?
TIA,

·
Registered
68 Posts

Something like this with 27mm inner width and 425g is probably what you’re looking for. Did you have a price range?

·
Premium Member
6,039 Posts
Have you considered getting the Ibis carbon rim upgrade? You can upgrade to the S28 or S35 with either their house brand or Industry 9 hubs. 7 year no fault warranty on the rims.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi again......

I now have confirmed the rim options the shop can offer....either the Ibis carbon 35mm rim with Industry9 Hydra hubs, or Industry9 carbon 31mm rims with Industry9 '1/1' hubs. The latter ~$200 less than the former.

What would you do?

Thanks again

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hi again......

I now have confirmed the rim options the shop can offer....either the Ibis carbon 35mm rim with Industry9 Hydra hubs, or Industry9 carbon 31mm rims with Industry9 '1/1' hubs. The latter ~$200 less than the former.

What would you do?

Thanks again
What size tires do you plan on running? The S35s are actually quite light. I just wouldn’t run them with anything less than a 29x2.4 Maxxis Rekon. That’s still a reasonably light and fast XC/trail tire, so maybe no big deal?

If they are able to get the i9 carbon enduro wheels, it might be worth checking if they have the trail rims with the 28mm width as an option too. Those wheels come in below 1700g which would definitely help with the climbing, and the 28mm inner width would be a sweet spot for trail tires.

Given the options you laid out though, I’d probably go for the i9s.

·
Premium Member
6,039 Posts
Either are a good choice. I would lean towards the Industry 9s, as they use We Are One carbon rims, which are made in Canada, and that makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I recently got NOBL TR 32's for my V4 Ripley. Around 1550g i believe. Great wheels with lifetime replacement warranty and great customer service.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Just for the record I have i9 hydras laced to We Are One Composites Union rims, 30mm inner width, a little on the enduro end of the spectrum, but strong and fits pretty much all the tires I could imagine running. Very similar to the i9s you have as an option

·
Registered
645 Posts
I have WA1 Unions on my Enduro and their Faction rims are beautiful rims, but IMHO are heavy for what you are looking for. As other’s have said I would get either NOBL TR32 rims or the Ibis s28 rims. Both have great warranties.

I have 1500g Enve m630 I9 Torch wheels on my Ripley that I bought on close out and I would get something in the 15xx g range which the TR32s and s28s will easily build up to. If I was buying new wheels for my Ripley I’d get TR32s on Hydras.

I’m building a new Exie up right now and I wanted ~1300g wheels and I’m going with Roval Control Sl wheels which I’ve test piloted and can swap out with the LBS for the stock Ibis wheelset, otherwise I was looking at TR32 rims with DT180s direct from Nobl at 1350g which would absolutely fly uphill.

Hope that helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
68 Posts
I think the Goldilocks wheel for what you’re probably looking for here would just be the ibis s28 wheel with the i9 hydra hubs. My bike was originally going to be spec’d with those but with the ups and downs of getting a bike today, I would up going with the Unions because the 30mm inner width was really in the sweet spot for most of the tires I’d want to run 2.35-2.6. I may add a second lighter set of wheels like the s28 at some point if I can get a hold on some and just have those permanently ready to rock with a 2.35 Vittoria Barzo/Mezcal combo for more XC-oriented rides. At a certain point you might ask yourself if it makes more sense to get a 23lb excie if you really want a rocket on the climbs, though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts