Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
I currently ride a 2006 Iron Horse Warrior with WTB SX24 rims and Weirwolf tires. They use a presta type tube and I want to convert them to the schrader type. I was wondering if drilling the rim would cause any damage or weak points. I personally don't see what it would hurt but one of the buddies I ride with says it's a bad idea. I do a lot of dirt jumping and I just wanted to get some more opinions before I decide to break out my drill and go to town. Also, does anyone know the correct size bit to use to drill them out if I decide to do it.:confused:

·
oh Lucky me
705 Posts
yeah....bad idea...i know the rims you speak of and IMO they are too narrow at the spot of the valve to open that hole up large enough for a schrader. why do you want a schraeder vs a presta? i actually find myself liking the presta more....

·
Registered
18 Posts
Well, In all honesty I prefer schrader over presta because I religiously run tire slime in all my bikes and I've yet to figure out how to get that stuff through a presta valve. That's the only reason. So, my next question is how do I get tire sealant through a presta valve?:confused:

·
Registered
396 Posts
Stay with presta

I prefer presta valves. You can convert schrader to presta but not the other way around. Don't drill your rims. The metal is so thin on rims I'm afraid you could make some major damage and then your rim will not hold up on rough riding.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I rode Funn Xlrater rims with presta valve for about a year and hated that thin pointy thingie. Almost every time I pumped it up the pump either pressed valve in and leak air or jammed it out and didn't let air in the tire. Valves didn't hold air very well, I had to pump tires up every week. Eventually I got tired of that crap and drilled rims for old good schrader. Presta sucks on MTB.

·
Fat & Single
4,166 Posts
I drilled out a set to go ghetto tubeless with schrader rim strips , i then went back a few months later and fitted tubeless presta valves with no problems at all .

·
~Disc~Golf~
16,496 Posts
There's some bad answers getting getting thrown out there...
Exodus11 said:
yeah....bad idea...i know the rims you speak of and IMO they are too narrow at the spot of the valve to open that hole up large enough for a schrader.
the rims are not too narrow - plenty of room for schrader

schmitty8225 said:
Why? Presta rims are stronger than schrader.
huh?? where'd ya get that data ??

ToneyRiver said:
You can convert schrader to presta but not the other way around. Don't drill your rims. The metal is so thin on rims I'm afraid you could make some major damage and then your rim will not hold up on rough riding.
not true - they make grommets that allow you to put a presta in a schrader hole. - The metal is to thin to drill? - logic please...It has 33-37 holes in it already - I guess the whole thing is compromised then.:rolleyes:

Stretch & Ozzy got it right IMO

·
~Disc~Golf~
16,496 Posts
Jekyll_Jockey said:
that does work but it does not solve the "slime" in the tube problem as you still cannot remove the core"

Time to get the draill out....:thumbsup:
If you're gonna drill it out, make sure your rim is nice and secured and you're no just holding it loosely by the spokes , for instance. The drill bit may have a tendency to grab as is starts to pass through the hole . If it grabs, it (the wheel) could spin around and bend a finger or two :eek: Keep a high speed and a light pressure and you be good (sorry if this is obvious to you - just speaking from some experience :D )

SIDE NOTE: Schrader valves have the added bonus of having more choices in valve-stem caps available - I like my chrome skulls :thumbsup:

·
Registered
260 Posts
Jekyll_Jockey said:
that does work but it does not solve the "slime" in the tube problem as you still cannot remove the core"

Time to get the draill out....:thumbsup:
actually it's quite easy getting slime into a presta tube. 5 minutes work. I did that many times.

·
Northeastern Rider
762 Posts
They have presta tubes w/ removable valve cores just for this reason. Drilling the valve hole will not compromise the integrity of the rim. The rims are the same, presta or schrader. Its just a hole drilling difference in the factory so drilling it out yourself will not hurt the rim unless you slip and damage the rim otherwise.

I would still recommend using the removable presta core tubes.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
schmitty8225 said:
the hole is the weakest point on the rim. if it is smaller the rim is stronger
Not THAT much stronger. Besides, any rim made for MTB use should be strong enough to stand up to hard usage regardless of the size of the valve hole.

·
oh Lucky me
705 Posts
i run slime in my tubes as well because i am notorious for picking up thorns and the like...i just buy the presta tubes that are pre-slimed....solves all issues :thumbsup:

·
Registered
18 Posts
True! Where can I find (or better yet whose got the best deal on) pre-slimed or shcwabble removable core tubes?

1 - 20 of 44 Posts