Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Social Retard
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Planning on racing my first race back from my big accident and my first race on my new singlespeed this weekend at Rim Nordic. I was wondering what gearing others were using for this course. I just replaced my 32:16 with a 32:18 and the girl climbs like a monster, but I'm spun out pretty quickly on the flats.
I have a 20t, but that seems like it would be too much once over the first climb...
I'm open to ideas and suggestions from any and all familiar with the races held there.
Thanks

·
On your left.
1,188 Posts
Not a SSer, but

Sound like you haven't raced rim nordic? I've only ever raced geared FS bikes and I'm more of a spinner. But since you have no responses . . .

The climb starts right from the start (so be warmed up!) for a few hundred feet of vertical then bombs all the way back down to the start line before switchbacking up the fireroad. I can typically do that part of the climb on the first 2 laps in the middle ring (32x32 or 29x28), but there is a steep loose section just before the fireroad that makes me drop to the granny and may have you off the bike. Anyway, the fireroad is barely a big ring deal because it gradually climbs and the dirt is slow. Turning off the fireroad leads to singletrack traverse which in places is about the fastest place on the course - definitely big ring for some sprints. This leads to the downhill switchbacks which are occasionally tight and definitely middle ring type descent. After some intermediate fireroad/singletrack there is the traverse back the the start line - this can be pretty fast in areas, but is between middle and big ring. All in all I'd say it is a good SS course because the speed is relatively consistent. The sections you will spin out on are fairly short, whereas the climbs are at altitude and can be taxing. Unfortunately the sprint to the finish is pretty fast so a tall gear might be good for a kick to make-up or prevent losing a position there.

the pup said:
Planning on racing my first race back from my big accident and my first race on my new singlespeed this weekend at Rim Nordic. I was wondering what gearing others were using for this course. I just replaced my 32:16 with a 32:18 and the girl climbs like a monster, but I'm spun out pretty quickly on the flats.
I have a 20t, but that seems like it would be too much once over the first climb...
I'm open to ideas and suggestions from any and all familiar with the races held there.
Thanks

·
Social Retard
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the response

But yeah, I have raced Rim Nordic many times, just never on a ss, (last year, I actually came in 3rd in the M.J. Reynolds Stage Race-only because there were only three of us left in the 45+ expert;) ). What worries me is I'm not too sure if I am to gear for the climb, or for the jeep road and decent. I'm guessing to gear more for the climbing and spin the road. I have a lot to learn, but I'm more of an endurance racer and this is just a tune up.
I may just go up on Sat and do a lap with the 18t and a lap with the 16t.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts