Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
one chain, two sprockets
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was considering a set of Sun rims (6061) since I found a set locally for cheap. However, having considerable experience building with Sun, I thought maybe I should 'treat' myself to a better rim material - you know one of those new fangled alloys like "Auralite Nb-A" from Halo, or rims from Mavic or Stans...

Am I deceiving myself that these newer materials build-up better?

Should I just stick to Sun since I'm familiar with that alloy?

Tom P.

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
Most rims are 6061, which is a solid choice but is considered "soft" by some.

Mavic Maxtal rims feel very solid and tend to be a little lighter compared to an equivalent 6061 rim, though pay attention to spoke tension as they have been known to crack at the eyelets. Some rims are now coming with minute amounts of Scandium added which allows for a lighter rim compared to a 6061 rim.

I've never had issues with building or riding Sun rims myself so if you can get them cheap then why not.

·
transmitter~receiver
9,333 Posts
mtnbiker72 said:
Most rims are 6061, which is a solid choice but is considered "soft" by some.

Mavic Maxtal rims feel very solid and tend to be a little lighter compared to an equivalent 6061 rim, though pay attention to spoke tension as they have been known to crack at the eyelets. Some rims are now coming with minute amounts of Scandium added which allows for a lighter rim compared to a 6061 rim.

I've never had issues with building or riding Sun rims myself so if you can get them cheap then why not.
what he said.
some peeps are fans of mavic's hard(ish) maxtal, which won't ding as easily as softer 6061, but which is more brittle.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts